Download course PDF
You graduate with real-world problem-solving skills that are attractive to employers and a strong understanding of the academic theory that underpins professional practice.
The degree focuses on three core disciplines that are essential for a successful career in any area of business or finance:
- financial accounting
- management accounting
Many of our graduates go on to train as chartered accountants. However, this degree can also lead to a range of other career options, such as finance or general management.
Highlights of this degree
Quality and ranking
Accounting and Finance at Newcastle ranks in the top 20 UK universities for Accounting and Finance in The Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2017 and The Complete University Guide 2017.
We also achieved a 93% overall student satisfaction score in the National Student Survey 2016.
This degree is available as:
- a three-year degree (N400)
- a four-year degree with placement (N401)
Students on N400 can apply to study abroad for a year between Stages 2 and 3 (see below), extending their degree to four years.
We also offer Accounting and Finance BSc Honours at our London campus.
Work placement (optional)
Between Stages 2 and 3, you have the opportunity to spend a year on work placement in the UK or overseas.
This can boost your CV and equip you with valuable industry experience.
- You can apply directly to our four-year degree with Placement (N401)
- You can apply to our three-year degree (N400) and ask to transfer to N401 if you decide you'd like to take a work placement, up until the end of Stage 2
You'll receive support from the Business School's dedicated Placement Officer and the University's Careers Service to help you find a placement that matches your skills and interests.
We have recently placed students in companies including:
- Ernst & Young
- BAE Systems
- Virgin Media
- First Derivatives
- Warner Bros
Find out more about work placements on the Business School's website.
Study abroad (optional)
Between Stages 2 and 3, students on our Accounting and Finance (N400) degree have the opportunity to study abroad for a year.
We have a number of partner universities in Europe through the Erasmus exchange scheme.
Currently partners include institutions in:
You can apply to study abroad up until the end of Stage 2.
Find out more about the benefits of studying abroad on the Business School website.
Newcastle University Business School has excellent links with accounting organisations and professional bodies. We regularly welcome guest speakers from industry.
Also, each year we award prizes, sponsored by major firms and professional bodies, to outstanding students to commend their dedication. This can boost your CV and give you exposure to future employers.
If you want to become a chartered accountant, it is important to study a degree that is professionally accredited.
This shows that your degree meets the standards set by the industry, and often means that you do not need to take certain additional exams after you graduate (this is called an 'exemption').
This degree offers a number of exemptions from the examinations of professional bodies, putting you on the fast track to further qualifications in your chosen career.
Exemptions available to current students include:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Fundamentals Level: papers F1-F9
- Association of International Accountants (AIA)
- Foundation Level (Certificate in Accountancy): all modules
- Professional Level 1 (Diploma in Accountancy): all modules
- Overall, i.e. papers 1-12 of Modules A to D
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Certificate Level: all papers
- Operations Level: P1 (Performance Operations) and F1 (Financial Operations)
- Management Level: P2 (Performance Management) and F2 (Financial Management) at the Management level
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA)
- Professional Certificate stage (level 1): all papers
- Professional Diploma stage (level 2): Financial Management, Business Strategy and Public Finance and Taxation
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Certificate Level: all papers
- Professional Level: Business Strategy and Financial Management
To obtain exemptions, students may need to achieve a minimum grade in a particular module or modules