The Fine Art MFA enables you to establish or extend your position in the art world. Our distinguished artists and historians will nurture your practical, professional and intellectual skills. You will also develop your critical understanding of the discourses relevant to your work.
The course is designed for fine art graduates and for those with other backgrounds who wish to establish or extend their position as practitioners in the contemporary art world. It also offers a solid grounding for those hoping to progress to PhD degree study. We support practice and research in:
- digital media
- video art
- art history
You will be working alongside a range of distinguished practising artists and historians in an exciting and well-equipped environment. Our teaching is research led and we have a committed and dynamic team of academic staff who are all excellent teachers, active researchers and artists of international standing. In addition, a wide range of national and international artists, curators and art theorists come to work with us through our weekly visiting lecture programme.
Our course equips you with the skills and knowledge needed to pursue a career as an artist or in a related profession. Our graduates gain employment and make significant contributions in the national and international arts arena, in areas such as:
- art historians
- gallery or arts administrators
We expect you to question orthodoxies and cross boundaries. We encourage participation in the research culture of the department through workshops and research seminars, including:
- chairing seminars with eminent visiting artists and researchers
- involvement in exhibitions
- professional networking
- collaborative activities
The Fine Art MFA is a two-year full time studio-based course. Approximately 80% of the course is self-directed studio work and a dissertation; professional practice and training make up the remaining 20%. Modules in the first year include fine art training, which investigates exhibition practice and the practical, professional and intellectual skills needed to practice as an artist. It also encourages you to exhibit in the city, make connections in the region, and set up contacts for use beyond the degree. The course culminates in a final exhibition. You can view the archives of our previous MFA exhibitions.
You'll have regular meetings with your tutor and can discuss your work with all fine art staff, so that you benefit from the full range of expertise available. The course is taught through:
- one-to-one studio tutorials
We encourage and support the practice and study of art through lively debate, thoughtful and informed investigation, experimentation and speculation.
There are regular study trips abroad, usually one each semester for four to seven days. We organise these optional trips at an additional cost. Recent trips have been to New York, the Venice Biennale, Berlin and Amsterdam. Our exchange scheme also gives you the chance to study in Europe or overseas at one of our partner institutions.
We aim to admit approximately ten students per year.
School of Arts and Cultures
Placed in the top five of all UK art schools, we are concerned with the education and training of artists, together with the associated discourses around the practice, exhibition, history and theory of art.
Home to a wide variety of courses from music, media and cultural studies, digital media, and museum, gallery and heritage studies, we can offer you exciting possibilities for collaboration, interdisciplinary practice and research.
Based in the heart of the city centre campus, Newcastle is a great place to study contemporary visual art. As well as the city's vibrant arts scene, there is the potential for interdisciplinary research and engagement with centres such as the Culture Lab and the Newcastle Institute for Creative Practice (NICAP).
We provide well-resourced workshops and student studios, from the open-plan first year studios designed for project work to purpose-built painting, sculpture, printmaking and digital media studios, all with full technical support. You will benefit from 24/7 access to the studios.
Our facilities also include designated gallery spaces, seminar rooms, a large lecture theatre and all students have the use of the award winning Robinson Library and computer clusters around the University.
We are based in the same building as the Hatton Gallery, one of the largest exhibition spaces in North East England. This accommodates both student shows and large touring exhibitions. The Hatton's permanent collection consists of works of art from five centuries and includes the Elterwater Merzbarn construction by Kurt Schwitters.