Our Biotechnology and Business Enterprise MRes is a research-based course with a taught component. It provides a springboard into a career that involves a working knowledge of scientific research.
The course is for students with a BSc in the life sciences or another science discipline. It is also for intercalating and qualified MBBS or BDS students. You can study the course as a stand-alone qualification or as an entry route to a PhD or MD.
The taught part of the course includes biotechnology and business enterprise specific content. You have the flexibility to select complementary modules and develop a bespoke course. You will also receive training in general research principles and in professional and key skills.
The course focuses on how to turn research laboratory breakthroughs into successful biotechnology companies. Subjects covered include:
- business models
- securing funding from venture capitalists and other sources
- establishing licensing, contracts and legal ownership
- critical aspects of business planning and project management
- the science of the biotechnology industry and processing
You will attend presentations and workshops by:
- academics with business experience
- business and legal advisers
Your research project is the major element of the course. Your project involves 24 weeks of research in biotechnology and business enterprise. Supervision is by expert academic researchers in your field of interest.
Biotechnology and business enterprise is a competitive research area. Your studies will be mainly based in academia, though potentially in industry too.
Faculty of Medical Sciences Graduate School
Our Medical Sciences Graduate School is dedicated to providing you with information, support and advice throughout your research degree studies. We can help and advise you on a variety of queries relating to your studies, funding or welfare.
Our Research Student Development Programme supports and complements your research whilst developing your professional skills and confidence.
You will make an on-going assessment of your own development and training needs through personal development planning (PDP) in the ePortfolio system. Our organised external events and development programme have been mapped against the Vitae Researcher Development Framework to help you identify how best to meet your training and development needs.
Our MRes courses
Biotechnology and Business Enterprise MRes is closely linked to a suite of MRes courses that you may also be interested in:
- Ageing and Health MRes
- Animal Behaviour MRes
- Biofabrication and Bioprinting MRes
- Cancer MRes
- Cardiovascular Science in Health and Disease MRes
- Cell Signalling in Health and Disease MRes
- Diabetes MRes
- Drug Delivery and Nanomedicine MRes
- Epidemiology MRes
- Evolution and Human Behaviour MRes
- Immunobiology MRes
- Medical Genetics MRes
- Medical and Molecular Biosciences MRes
- Mitochondrial Biology and Medicine MRes
- Molecular Microbiology MRes
- Musculoskeletal Ageing (CIMA) MRes
- Neuromuscular Diseases MRes
- Neuroscience MRes
- Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cells MRes
- Toxicology MRes
- Translational Medicine and Therapeutics MRes
- Transplantation MRes
See How to Apply tab in the Programme information in our online Prospectus for full information.