Want to study civil engineering at Newcastle but don't meet the entry requirements? Take a foundation year to develop the knowledge you need to progress to one of our three- or four-year Civil Engineering degrees.
At a Glance
UCAS Institution Name and Code
A Level: AAA
IB: 37 points
Download course PDF
You will study topics such as:
- foundation mathematics
- applied mechanics
- material science
On successful completion of your foundation year you are guaranteed entry to an engineering degree programme at Newcastle.
Highlights of this degree
Who is this course for?Who is this course for?
If you don't have mathematics and/or science at the appropriate level to apply for our engineering degrees, this course is for you.
If you have proven ability in other subjects, it gives you the opportunity to develop the knowledge you need to apply to an engineering degree here.
This course is also appropriate if:
- you have technical or vocational qualifications
- you are from a different educational system
Quality and rankingQuality and ranking
Civil and Structural Engineering at Newcastle is ranked:
- Top 10 in the UK in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017
- 2nd in the UK for research power (Research Fortnight)
- 90% overall student satisfaction (2016 National Student Survey)
- World top 150 for Civil and Structural Engineering (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2016)
What does it lead to?What does it lead to?
After completing your foundation year, you can move on to any of our Civil Engineering degrees:
- Civil Engineering BEng Honours(H200)
- Civil Engineering MEng Honours(H290)
- Civil and Surveying Engineering BEng Honours (H202)
- Civil and Surveying Engineering MEng Honours (H292)
- Civil and Structural Engineering BEng Honours(H210)
- Civil and Structural Engineering MEng Honours(H242)
If you are not sure which degree you're interested in yet, apply for the general Engineering with Foundation Year degree. This lets you choose which degree you want to move onto at the end of the foundation year.
BEng or MEng?BEng or MEng?
We offer engineering degrees at two levels - BEng and MEng. Both provide a pathway to becoming a Chartered Engineer (CEng). This is one of the most recognised international engineering qualifications.
Our Master of Engineering (MEng) degrees are a direct route to becoming chartered. You don't need to study any more qualifications after your degree to achieve chartered status.
Our BEng degrees can also lead to Chartered Engineer status. However, you'll need to complete further study, like an approved Master's degree.
Visit the Engineering Council's website for information about the benefits of becoming chartered.
Learn in outstanding facilitiesLearn in outstanding facilities
Study at Newcastle and you will join our School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences.
We have fantastic facilities to develop professional skills you'll need in your career.
These include specialist laboratories on campus, where you'll test your design decisions and learn how different materials behave. For example:
- testing heavy structures, like reinforced concrete beams
- analysing the properties of different materials, like steel and timber
- exploring chemical and biological properties of waters, soils and more
- studying how water behaves in flood or heavy rainfall
- testing highway design with our driving simulator
You can find out more about our facilities on the School website.
You will also have access to full-scale field facilities off campus, including:
- flood defence schemes
- instrumented river catchment system
- hydro-borehole facility
- engineering embankment
- electric vehicles
To make sure you get off to a fantastic start, we also give you a free start-up pack. This contains essential resources for your studies including key text books and laboratory/site safety wear.
Compare this course
See how this course compares with others for topics such as student satisfaction, fees and costs and prospects after graduation using the Unistats Key Information Set.
Civil Engineering MEng Honours
Our professionally accredited Civil Engineering MEng Honours degree includes an additional year of Master's-level study, which deepens your knowledge and provides the basis for registering as a Chartered Engineer.
Civil Engineering with Foundation Year BEng Honours
Want to study civil engineering at Newcastle but don't meet the entry requirements? Take a foundation year to develop the knowledge you need to progress to one of our three-year Civil Engineering BEng degrees.
Download course PDF