Our course allows medical educators to enhance their educational practice, skills and knowledge. You will gain expertise in effective medical education in the context of your practice. You will also develop a scholarly approach through evaluating established practice and educational initiatives.
The course is flexible and practice-based. It will suit health professionals and those involved or interested in medical education. Through advancing your skills and knowledge you will enhance your contribution to educational practice. You will also extend your ability to contribute to medical education as a discipline.
By the end of the Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert), you will be able to:
- design and deliver educational interventions
- select the most appropriate educational strategies or methods for specified contexts
- relate educational issues in clinical practice to a wider educational context
- critically appraise theory, ‘evidence’ and empirical data as well as your own practice
- take a strategic approach to your educational needs and plan to address these
- explain and justify the decisions made when designing methods for investigating medical education
- use medical education theories and principles to inform educational practice
The Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) and Master of Medical Education (MMedEd) further advance your knowledge and skills. You will learn to:
- engage in academic debate about educational research and practice (PGDip, MMedEd)
- show advanced knowledge in specific areas of special interest or professional relevance (PGDip, MMedEd)
- contest and contribute to the body of knowledge about medical education (MMedEd)
- identify practical and robust design solutions to selected research questions (MMedEd)
The face-to-face course has been structured to meet the needs of students who are also full-time health professionals. Each module is equivalent to approximately three study days. It is delivered through a combination of:
- study days
- resource-based learning
- private study
- individual tutorials
- online exercises
- work-based assignments
The e-learning Postgraduate Certificate and Diploma are studied completely via distance learning. Each of the three 20-credit modules on each stage runs over either 11 or 12 weeks.
Full and part time
You can study the MMedEd full time over one year.
If you prefer to study part time you can complete the PGCert over one year. Following this you can progress to the PGDip, which you can study over one or two years. Finally, you can progress to the MMedEd, which is also studied over one or two years.
You can also choose to complete an Accelerated Diploma or Accelerated Masters course. This allows you to study more than one stage of the course, part time, over one year:
- Accelerated Diploma* (PGCert and PGDip)
- Accelerated Masters* (PGDip and MMedEd)
* It is not possible to do the Accelerated Diploma or Accelerated Masters via the e-learning courses.
The course is accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA).