Our Finance and Economics (Research) MA is designed to provide you with the essential skills, as well as an advanced knowledge and understanding of economics and finance, to proceed to doctoral research. It forms part of the 1+3 (Master's plus PhD) scheme under the North East Doctoral Training Centre.
Through the course you will develop:
- a thorough understanding of social science theory, approaches and research methods
- an understanding of research methods specific to finance and/or economics
- knowledge of advanced scholarship and practice in areas within finance/economics as well as a broader awareness of cutting edge research across the social sciences
- skills in data collection and analysis
- specialist analytical and problem-solving skills.
The research training provided will also be valuable for many non-academic careers in research institutions or other knowledge-intensive environments.
Find out about our research areas and the staff who will teach on this course.
You take research training modules, made up of generic skills which are taught as part of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Research Training Programme, and subject-specific research methods and empirical techniques.
You take further modules, both compulsory and optional, in core subject-specific knowledge, geared to either economics or finance. Finally, the course culminates in a dissertation.
Teaching and learning take place in workshops and practical classes, lectures, seminars, team-based problem-solving groups and in supervisory meetings for research papers and the dissertation.
Newcastle University Business School is one of the largest Schools in the University, with over 3,100 students representing over 80 nationalities. The quality of our School is reflected in the triple accreditation we have been awarded by the European agency European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) under its EQUIS scheme, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and the Association of MBAs (AMBA).
The School's new location and modern design allows it to:
- unite world-class research, teaching, enterprise and innovative activities under one roof
- develop and strengthen relationships between staff and students
- facilitate collaborative links between the School and the business community
Our facilities provide:
- a flexible and dedicated conference suite with panoramic views across the city
- Wi-Fi enabled connectivity throughout the building, including three computer clusters housing approximately 120 PCs
- four large lecture theatres and 21 seminar rooms, providing comfortable teaching and group study space
- a dedicated Hub, Base, and Lounge providing a balanced mix of study space and relaxation areas
- a contemporary café