Microbiology is a well-funded research area at Newcastle University. This creates a vibrant and dynamic environment for postgraduate study.
The Centre of Bacterial Cell Biology researches bacteria cell biology and biochemistry. It provides scientific insights crucial for the discovery and development of new antibiotics. It provides solutions to a huge range of industrial and environmental problems. Other research interests include:
- chromosome replication and segregation
- transcription and translation
- protein structure, function and engineering
- cell envelope, growth and division
- synthetic biology, development and gene regulation
- bacterium-host interactions.