Our course provides a foundation in research methodology and evidence based practice in a flexible format. You can develop your own area of interest in a research or Evidence Based Practice (EBP) framework. It forms part of the 1+3 (Master's plus PhD) scheme under the North East Doctoral Training Centre.
This course is intended for graduates in clinical linguistics, psychology, speech and language therapy or a related discipline with an interest in research in speech, language, communication and swallowing disorders.
The course will cover:
- social science theory, approaches and research methods
- research methods in the discipline appropriate to your planned dissertation project and future doctoral research
- advanced scholarship and practice in areas within that discipline as well as an awareness of current research
- design and implementation of an original investigation including statistical and/or qualitative analyses and interpretation of findings
- development of communication skills appropriate to sharing the findings of a clinical investigation with a professional audience through a conference presentation and manuscript suitable for submission to a scientific journal
You will be taught by internationally renowned researchers and lecturers, such as Professor David Howard, Professor Nick Miller and Professor James Law. They will support you to develop research and enquiry in specialist clinical areas.
The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) recognises the programme as a Research Master's award, making it ideal preparation for a PhD under the ESRC funded 1+3 (Master's plus PhD) degree scheme.
The course is delivered by Speech and Language Sciences in the School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences.