Undertaking a PhD in media and cultural studies provides you with access to a wide range of professional and academic opportunities including quality-assured supervision and regional, national and global links with creative and cultural industries.
You will become part of the Media and Cultural Studies team contributing to a vibrant learning community. During your studies you will have the opportunity to present papers at conferences, write articles for academic journals and contribute articles to edited collections alongside other publications. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to enrol on a nationally recognised Teaching in Higher Education qualification, allowing you to host undergraduate and postgraduate seminars.
We are a leading research unit at Newcastle University with a strong PhD culture. Our research environment supports world-leading, internationally excellent scholarship. Our approach is distinct and interdisciplinary, focusing across theoretical and applied areas.
- Celebrity: Dr Gareth Longstaff, Dr Bethany Usher
- Critical Studies of the Environment: Dr Tina Sikka
- Cultural Politics of Food: Dr Tina Sikka
- Democracy and Political Communication: Dr Joss Hands, Dr Darren Kelsey, Dr Majid Khosravinik, Dr Tina Sikka, Dr Florian Zollman
- Digital Media Studies and Activism: Dr James Ash, Dr Karren Ross, Dr Deborah Chambers, Dr Darren Kelsey, Dr Joss Hands, Dr Majid Khosravinik
- Film Practice: Dr Geetha Jayaraman, Dr Ian McDonald, Dr Alastair Cole, Dr Raisa Sidenova
- Gender, Identity and Media: Dr Deborah Chambers, Dr Karen Ross, Dr Chris Haywood, Dr Gareth Longstaff, Dr Tina Sikka
- Gender, Health, and Science: Dr Tina Sikka
- Journalism: Dr David Baines, Dr Murray Dick, Dr Darren Kelsey, Dr Florian Zollman, Dr Karen Ross, Dr Bethany Usher
- Masculinity/Masculinities: Dr Clifton Evers, Dr Chris Haywood, Dr Gareth Longstaff
- Media and Myth: Dr Darren Kelsey
- Mobilities and Media: Dr James Ash, Dr Deborah Chambers
- Museums, Culture, and Heritage: Dr Areti Galani, Dr Rhiannon Mason, Dr Aron Mazel, Dr Andrew Newman, Dr Peter Stone, Dr Chris Whitehead
- Pornography and Representation: Dr Gareth Longstaff, Dr Chris Haywood
- Public Relations: Dr Jonathan Ward, Dr Ramona Slusarczyk
- Queer Studies: Dr Clifton Evers, Dr Chris Haywood, Dr Gareth Longstaff
- Race and Ethnicity: Dr Tina Sikka, Dr Majid Khosravinik
- Social and Cultural Dimensions of Pollution: Dr Clifton Evers
- Sport and Leisure: Dr Clifton Evers, Dr Darren Kelsey.
This programme is taught on the Newcastle campus. Attendance is flexible and agreed between you and your supervisors depending on the requirements of the research project.
See How to Apply tab in the Programme information in our online Prospectus. https://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/degrees/media-cultural-studies-mphil-phd/?utm_source=referral-study-link&utm_medium=course-listing&utm_content=media-cultural-studies-mphil-phd&utm_campaign=PG3PL-study-link#howtoapply