MA - full time: 12 months part time: 24 months
PGDip - full time: 8 months part time: 16 months.
Our Management and Business Studies (Research) MA is designed to provide you with the essential skills as well as the advanced knowledge and understanding of business and management to proceed to doctoral research.
The MA can only be applied for as part of the 1+3 (MA plus PhD) scheme via the Northern Ireland and North East Doctoral Training Partnership (NINE DTP).
Through the course you will develop:
- a thorough grounding in theory, approaches, research methods and associated ethics in the social sciences generally and in management and business studies in particular
- skills in the analysis of both quantitative and qualitative research data as well as an understanding of cutting edge research across the social sciences
- the ability to reconcile different research approaches and analyse data in a wide variety of formats, both qualitative and quantitative.
Two key modules are shared with first-year PhD students in the areas of management and business. This provides an exciting opportunity to study alongside the PhD cohort, facilitating knowledge exchange, enhancing learning and contributing to a vibrant research culture.
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences provides a Research Training Programme and you will undertake some generic research training modules from this as well as more specialised modules to develop your subject-specific expertise.
The research training provided will also be valuable for many non-academic careers in research institutions or other knowledge-intensive environments.
Practitioner and research led teaching
Profiles of staff who teach on the course:
- Dr Shanta Davie
- Dr Laurence Ferry
- Professor Charles Harvey
- Professor Stephen Hughes
- Dr Ron Kerr
- Dr Tom McGovern
- Professor Alan McKinlay
- Professor John Wilson.
Newcastle University Business School is one of the largest Schools in the University, with over 3,100 students representing over 80 nationalities. The quality of our School is reflected in the triple accreditation we have been awarded by the European agency European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) under its EQUIS scheme, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and the Association of MBAs (AMBA).
The School's location and modern design allows it to:
- unite world-class research, teaching, enterprise and innovative activities under one roof
- develop and strengthen relationships between staff and students
- facilitate collaborative links between the School and the business community.
Our facilities provide:
- a flexible and dedicated conference suite with panoramic views across the city
- Wi-Fi enabled connectivity throughout the building, including three computer clusters housing approximately 120 PCs
- four large lecture theatres and 21 seminar rooms, providing comfortable teaching and group study space
- a dedicated Hub, Base, and Lounge providing a balanced mix of study space and relaxation areas
- a contemporary café.
View some of the Business School facilities.