Our course allows you to gain a thorough understanding of marketing theories and how to apply them to real world business challenges. You will specialise in marketing within an international context. This includes rapidly developing issues surrounding global communications and brand management.
Organisations are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of understanding what their customers want and the necessity to develop products and services that meet their needs and aspirations. Organisations which place the customers at the forefront of all decision making and take a marketing-led approach are able to create competitive advantage and build brand loyalty.
The MSc is for those who want to study a postgraduate qualification with a commercial focus. The course consists of marketing modules and is recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). The CIM is one of the world's leading international bodies for marketing and business development. You do not need any prior knowledge of marketing theory to undertake the course.
You will develop relevant research techniques throughout the course. You need these to investigate and critically analyse international marketing issues. You will gain:
- a systematic understanding and critical awareness of international marketing theory
- the ability to apply theory to international case studies, markets and issues
- the ability to measure market performance and consumer behaviour
- knowledge of ethical issues and their implications in marketing
On completion of the course you will have:
- access to professional international marketing networks that provide you with resources and training support
- practical marketing experience gained through our practical modules (eg Small Business Marketing and Management)
- industry links developed through modules (eg Principles of Marketing) and a regional marketing competition
You will be able to develop your career in marketing roles on the agency and in-house sides. You will also be able to enter graduate roles at blue chip companies.
Graduates from the course have moved into various roles, including:
- Search Marketing Manager
- Communications Specialist
- Marketing and Design Executive
- Digital Account Manager
- Assistant Brand Manager
Practitioner and research led teaching
Profiles of the academic staff who teach on the course:
- Dr Matthew Gorton
- Dr Peter Edward
- Dr Philip Dawson
- Professor Klaus Schoefer
- Dr Nima Heirati
- Dr Natalia Yannopoulou
- Dr Neil Alderman
- Professor Markus Blut
- Dr Sharron Kuznesof
The course is modular, comprising:
- 160 credits of compulsory modules
- 20 credits of optional modules
- full time over 12 months
This course is approved and accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), the leading professional body for marketers. CIM accreditation reassures potential employers that our graduates have an excellent grounding in all the main aspects of marketing. It also accelerates the process of gaining a high level CIM qualification for those who go on to pursue a career in marketing.
Successful graduates can undertake further study for a CIM qualification at the highest possible entry level, namely the Chartered Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing.
In itself the course does not provide a CIM qualification or membership, this is dependent on relevant work experience.
Our course is also one of six in the UK to achieve Market Research Society (MRS) accreditation. The accreditation offers a route to certified member status of the MRS without any further exams subject to work experience.
Newcastle University Business School is accredited by the:
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS)
- Association of MBAs (AMBA)
Only 1% of business schools worldwide hold triple accreditation. Our Business School is part of this elite group and this accolade is a huge endorsement. It reflects the investments we make for our students through providing:
- a high quality teaching environment
- innovative programming
- active engagement with industry
- NBS8045 The International Business Environment
- NBS8507 International Marketing
- NBS8508 Market Analysis
- NBS8509 International Brand Management
- NBS8510 International Marketing Communications Management
- NBS8512 Dissertation in Marketing
- NBS8514 Marketing Research
- NBS8517 Consumer Behaviour
- NBS8526 Principles of Marketing
You will take a further 20 credits from the following:
- NBS8213 Managing Design and Product Development
- NBS8225 Performance and Decision Management
- NBS8236 Customer Relationship Management
- NBS8518 Small Business Marketing and Management
- NBS8519 E-Marketing
- ACE8107 Food Policy and Marketing
Modules might change for your year of entry.
How to Apply
Use our Applicant Portal to apply for your course. We have a step-by-step guide to help you.
The course starts in September. There is no application closing date for this course.
We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
If you live outside the UK/EU you must:
- pay a deposit of GBP 1,500
- or submit an official letter of sponsorship
The deposit is payable after you receive an offer to study at Newcastle University. The deposit is non-refundable, but is deducted from your tuition fees when you register.