This is an integrated four-year undergraduate Masters course, designed to give you a more in-depth and broader understanding of physics. You will develop the ideas and core skills of a professional physicist and begin the progression from classical to quantum concepts and modern applications.
Why choose this course?
- We've got a great reputation. We're consistently rated as one of the best universities for teaching in the UK. At the Guardian University Awards in 2015 the judges said that "in terms of teaching excellence it came down to NTU versus NTU!"
- We get consistently high satisfaction scores in the National Student Survey. In the most recent survey (2016), 96% of our Physics and Astronomy students say that staff are enthusiastic about what they are teaching, 97% of our students say staff are good at explaining things and 97% of students say they have been able to contact staff when needed.
- We have inspiring learning environments. We have a custom-built, on-campus observatory recognised by the International Astronomical Union, a radio telescope, a CT scanner, new microscopes, MRI scanners, a scanning tunneling microscope and an ionising radiation laboratory.
- We provide innovative accredited courses. Our pioneering courses and research are carried out in close collaboration with university and industry partners worldwide, giving our students skills and knowledge which are highly relevant to the needs of industry. Our undergraduate MSci and BSc physics courses are accredited by The Institute of Physics (IOP).
- We're delivering research with impact. Physics staff contribute to research activity in a number of areas including Superhydrophobic Surfaces, Medical Resonance Imaging, Art Conservation and Space Weather. NTU has recently been awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize for research - the highest national award achievable. Every year approximately ten of our students undertake paid summer placements in our research groups, giving them hands-on experience of cutting-edge research.
- We're one of the top universities for offering placements. Our courses offer the opportunity to apply for a placement in the UK or abroad, giving you the real-life experience employers are looking for, including recent placements at CERN, E.ON, The Netherlands Forensic Institute and Diamond Light Source.
- We've got an excellent employability record. Over 93% of NTU graduates are employed or engaged in further study six months after leaving.
What our students say