This exciting and innovative course will equip you with the strategic, creative and commercial skills required by the global fashion industry. It will develop and strengthen your core skills and knowledge in specialist areas, including new concepts and strategies for fashion communications.
Our MA Fashion Communications sits in a suite with the following courses:
You learn alongside students from these other MA courses, and have the option to transfer MA titles if your specialism changes.
- Study on a full or part-time basis.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of how the different areas of the fashion industry work together, and choose your specialist focus.
- Select from a range of possible outputs to reflect career aspirations or to support a business start-up.
- Go on study trips to international fashion capitals.
- Benefit from industry speakers such as international brand managers and fashion specialists.
- Work individually and as a team in a challenging, creative and multicultural environment within the School of Art & Design.
- Prepare for further postgraduate study such as MPhil or PhD.
- Gain a globally recognised academic qualification in conjunction with personal and professional development for employability and entrepreneurship.
How you're taught
Teaching and learning experiences will include:
- individual and group tutorials;
- peer group activities;
- directed and self-directed learning;
- access to NTU's online workspace;
- team working;
- personal development planning; and
- work-based learning.
Assessment is 100% by coursework and involves:
- presentations (individual and team);
- Project Proposal; and
- individual project.
Careers and employability
This course will prepare you for senior management roles across the fashion industry, in areas such as:
- fashion management;
- product development;
- brand management;
- luxury brand management;
- ethics and sustainability;
- communications and PR;
- styling; and
- fashion journalism.
The skills and knowledge you'll learn through this course will be transferable to roles within other industries.
The option to study an Advanced Art and Design Research module will give you the ideal preparation for further postgraduate study, including PhD courses, if you wish to teach or become a researcher.
You'll have the opportunity to undertake self-negotiated placements or internships, learn entrepreneurship skills through business development courses (such as The Hive's HeadStart programme), and attend events held by industry experts and organisations.
We'll help you to develop your skills in self-promotion, team working, presenting and communication. You'll also have the opportunity to undertake case studies which will help your understanding of how businesses work.
You'll be invited to attend and be involved in conferences and symposia. Recently this has included the International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes (IFFTI) Polimoda Conference in Florence to deliver papers and performances relating to fashion theory and practice.
Study visits to exhibitions have recently included:
- Alexander McQueen's Savage Beauty (Victoria & Albert Museum, London);
- Madame Gres (Mode Museum, Antwerp);
- Happy Birthday Dear Academie! (Mode Museum, Antwerp); and
- Dries Van Noten's Inspirations (Mode Museum, Antwerp).
Our annual trip to Antwerp and Paris has also included entry to the international trade show Première Visionwhich includes Indigo and Yarntex. Students have also attended an optional visit to Copenhagen Fashion Week.
You will have the opportunity to have your work selected for a Fashion Management, Marketing and Communication exhibition, held at the end of the course.
YouFirst – working with our Employability Team
Our friendly, experienced careers consultants will work closely with you at every stage of your career planning, providing personal support and advice you won't find in a book or on the internet. You can benefit from this at any time during your studies and up to three years after completing your course.
Take a look at a recent zine produced by our graduating Masters students to get a flavour of the innovation and creativity that goes on within the School of Art & Design.