If you're looking to advance your career in health and safety management within the workplace, our distance learning PgCert Occupational Health and Safety course is the perfect next step. You'll study for an accredited university qualification, without needing to leave your current job.
This course will enhance your ability to analyse problems, research and propose solutions, all while developing your confidence in delivering sound professional judgements in the workplace.
You'll graduate with the knowledge and skill necessary to fulfil your potential as a health and safety professional; you'll have the creativity, independence and enterprise to advance further professionally. On completion of this course, you'll also be sufficiently qualified to apply for Graduate Membership to the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH).
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- have the opportunity to analyse and evaluate the management, regulation and promotion of occupational health and safety in UK and international workplaces
- study at a university that has offered courses in Health and Safety to serve industrial and professional needs since 1976
- be supported through our online virtual learning environment called Moodle. The Moodle environment is a rich source of information - both formal and informal
- be directed towards independent study through a range of activities, including online tutorials, podcasts and tutor-led discussion sessions, which will provide you with the opportunity to interact with staff and fellow students
- have access to our Library's vast selection of electronic resources, including e-books and journals, available anywhere, 24/7, with staff always on hand to help out
This is a distance learning programme and, therefore, it is essential that you have access to the web, as this will be the main source of your learning material. Assessment is solely based on the submission of your written assignments.
Campus attendance is not required on this course, although you will be invited to a campus-based induction session at the start of the course and your graduation ceremony. The online induction course is available online for those unable to attend the campus-based session, and attendance of graduation is also not mandatory.
Teaching on this course includes:
- tutorials and lectures
- course materials
- discussion forums
- academic skills help
- PDP (Personal Development Planning)/IDP (Initial Development Planning)
- quizzes and assessments
This course isn't tied to the University's timetables or academic calendar. So you can work at your own pace, in your own time and in your own location. This PGCert programme consists of 2 distance learning modules, which will require 600 hours, over the course of a year, to effectively study.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- written assignments
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, you'll have the skills and knowledge to advance your career with your current employer and boost your long-term career prospects.
After the course, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
What can you do with an Occupational Health and Safety Management qualification?
Previous graduates have gone onto to hold senior positions in the industry, including health and safety roles in the oil and gas industry, construction, local and national governments, the manufacturing sector, as well as film and television.