Accounting and finance experts are always in demand, so if you've studied a business discipline at undergraduate level – and have an eye for detail and the drive to succeed in a challenging business environment – our MSc Accounting and Finance degree course is the way to take your ambitions further.
You'll learn the key principles and practices of accounting and finance and examine how they affect global business. You'll also get transferable skills, such as analytical and problem-solving techniques that will be invaluable in any business environment.
You'll graduate from the MSc Accounting and Finance degree course with the skills needed for a successful career in the accountancy and finance professions, ranging from management accounting to corporate finance, as well as all the skills required to excel in business.
What you'll experienceOn this course, you'll:
- Learn how to write and interpret financial statements, to monitor, control and plan for the ongoing success of an organisation
- Understand accounting and finance from both a strategic and management perspective, ranging from business planning and strategic management accounting to corporate financial management and corporate governance
- Have the chance to use the University’s Bloomberg terminals to monitor and analyse financial market data movements and trades
- Improve your commercial skills with our business simulation software, with technicians on-hand to help out when needed
- Receive support and mentoring from staff – including our Study Support Tutors – in formal meetings and also via social media
- Tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, which include 24-hour internet access and access to our online journals
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you complete this course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the accountancy and finance sectors.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this MSc Accounting and Finance degree course
Core modules on this course include:
- Financial Accounting
- Corporate Finance
- Statistics and Data Modelling
- Managerial Finance and Portfolio Theory
- Corporate Governance and Ethics
- Strategic Management Accounting
- Business Planning
- Business Valuation
Optional modules currently include:
- Data Processing and Visualisation
- Behavioural Finance
Teaching methods on this course include:
- practical sessions
- student presentations
- case studies
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you'll be exempt from all five Certificate Level papers of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). Additionally, CIMA's 'Gateway' route gives MSc Accounting and Finance graduates the opportunity to sit one paper which combines their Management level papers P2, F2 and E2. If you complete this successfully, you'll also be exempt from all of CIMA's Operational level and Certificate level papers.
For the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), we currently have exemptions from Fundamentals Level papers F1 - F4.
What jobs can you do with an Accounting and Finance degree?
When you graduate, you'll be in a strong position to pursue a career in:
- Financial accounting
- Management accounting
- Corporate finance
- Financial planning