Accountants and finance professionals are at the heart of almost every organisation. They use their expertise to help organisations make good business decisions and create value for stakeholders.
On this BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance degree, you'll develop analytical techniques, economic expertise and strategic insight and learn how to apply your accounting knowledge and skills in the financial and business sectors.
The course is accredited by 4 global accountancy bodies, which means you can gain exemptions from professional examinations. This can save you time and money if you want to become a chartered accountant.
Year 1 gives you a grounding in accounting and an introduction to business finance, economics, and the mathematical and statistical tools you'll use in your financial career.
You'll build on your accountancy knowledge and practice in year 2, and choose optional modules in subjects such as taxation and personal finance that allow you to shape your degree to your ambitions.
Your final year focuses on advanced topics and more optional modules giving you the opportunity to complete a dissertation and study project on an area that interests you.
Between years 2 and 3, you'll have the chance to study abroad at a partner university or enhance your career prospects and apply your skills in the workplace on a year-long sandwich placement.
Accounting and finance are at the heart of business. When you graduate, you could pursue a career as a chartered accountant (with further study) or apply your skills and knowledge to work in any area of business.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn from professionally qualified expert staff, whose practical experience and research interests ensure your learning is up-to-date with industry developments and regulations
- Use the same accounting and financial software as professionals, including Sage and SAP business resource planning software
- Get access to mentoring from 2nd and 3rd year students, who can help you settle into study and university life in year 1
- Apply your skills in simulated business management exercises
- Learn to make fast-paced investment decisions using our Bloomberg Suite, the trading platform used by professionals
- Get the Bloomberg Certificate as part of your studies, demonstrating to future employers that you know your way around the Bloomberg Suite
- Develop skills you can use in all areas of your life and career, including analytical, decision making, research and personal finance skills
You can also:
- Get valuable work experience and give back to the local community if you work on our charities audit programme
- Apply your knowledge in the workplace on a year-long work placement, boosting your employability prospects after the course
- Study abroad through our links with overseas universities
- Learn a language while you earn credit towards your degree as part of the University's IWLP
Work experience and career planning
Our Careers and Employability service will help you find relevant work experience during your course to give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies.
Entrepreneurs in Residence
If you're interested in setting up your own business while you study, you can get support on this course from the Entrepreneurs in Residence programme. Our Entrepreneurs in Residence are experienced business professionals who work with us to deliver group workshops and 1-to-1 drop-in clinics to help you plan and market your business idea.
Careers and opportunities
Whether you plan on becoming a chartered accountant, want to pursue a career in finance or want to use your analytical skills to forge a career in another business discipline, this finance and accounting degree will help you get there.
Accountants are in demand in all sectors, including the public sector and charities. Many companies employ in-house accountants but accountancy services also play a vital role – research by the Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies (CCAB) shows companies spent around £17.7 billion on accountancy services in the UK in 2017.
You can also use your degree to get into banking, insurance and investment, and fund management roles in accounting practices and larger organisations.
You're not limited to the financial sector. The analytical, finance and problem solving skills you'll learn are highly valued in areas such as general management, operations, strategy, consultancy, project management, purchasing and business analytics.
Roles our previous students have taken on include:
- Management accountant
- Financial analyst
- Project accountant
- Forensic accountant
Organisations our previous graduates have gone onto work for include:
- Ernst & Young
Whatever comes next after your studies, our Careers and Employability Service will give you support and advice for up to 5 years after you graduate.
After your second year, you can do a paid placement year. Previous students have worked in organisations such as IBM, Boeing and Estee Lauder.
We’ll help you secure a placement that fits your career goals. You'll get support from our Placements Office with applications, interviews and assessment days. You’ll also get mentoring and support to make the most out of your placement year.