If you're an ambitious creative looking to develop your work to meet the ever-changing demands of the creative industries, then our MA Graphic Design degree course is for you.
On this course, you'll explore different design methodologies – such as typography and publication design – and apply them to ‘real-world’ situations. You'll channel your design skills while creating professional links in various creative industries and communities.
We'll provide the expertise and support you need to develop your practice, and help you sharpen the skills that will grow your career in graphic design and other creative industries. And because you'll test and apply your work in the real world, you'll also open up possibilities for future employment and entrepreneurship when you graduate.
What you'll experience
On this Graphic Design degree course, you'll:
- Produce stimulating graphic design, with the latest software and equipment used by professionals in the industry
- Improve your understanding of graphic design through in-depth research
- Develop a strong critical discourse with peers and academic staff in relation to your work
- Use our specialist workshops, which include facilities for screen printing, letterpress, laser cutting, dye sublimation printing and digital fabric printing
- Get to grips with the latest professional software in our digital studios
- Spend time working in the dynamic and creative environment of our design studios
- Hear from inspirational guest speakers from the world of design
- Plan and produce a personal project to showcase your skills
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the graphic design industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this MA Graphic Design degree course
Core units include:
- A Question of Research
- Contextual Report
You'll get guidance and supervision that encourages your independent learning. You'll get regular teaching in workshops, and you'll engage in the wider studio culture that you'll develop alongside undergraduate students in graphic design.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed after the submission of your work for each unit. You'll get plenty of feedback to ensure your research is on the right track.
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you'll have the necessary skills for a successful career in the graphic design profession. You might choose to set up your own design studio, step into a more senior role in a graphic design agency or go on to further study.
What can you do with a Graphic Design degree?
Career opportunities include:
- Graphic design
- Typographic design
- Type design
- Website design
- New media design
- Magazine design publishing
- Work in the television and film industries
- Art direction
- Design management