The energy industry urgently needs the next generation of specialists who can deliver better energy management and help reduce our impact on the environment. If you're ready for the challenge ahead, our MSc Energy and Power Systems Management degree course is for you.
On this course, you'll use your previous knowledge and skills to improve renewable energy, and the efficiency of power generation. You'll unpack up-to-date skills and learn advanced concepts in the operation, control, design, regulation and management of the power systems and networks of the future.
Whether you're a recent graduate or a professional already working in the field of sustainable electrical power and energy generation, once you complete the course, you'll be in a strong position to pursue a career as an engineer at an advanced level, in the field of energy and power systems management.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Hear from guest speakers who are experts in the industry
- Learn about Electrical Power Systems Technology, Electrical Machines and Drives, Smart Grid Fundamentals, Renewable and Alternative Energy, Sensors and Measurement Systems, Engineering Management, Economics and Risk Analysis
- Improve your skills in the operation, control, design, regulation and management of power systems and networks of the future
- Use computational tools to understand the design of sustainable electrical power systems and networks and regulatory frameworks
- Critically evaluate methodologies, analytical procedures and research methods in energy and power systems management
- Bring together your technical and non-technical knowledge, to solve problems of a complex nature
- Learn in a challenging and stimulating environment, with specialist experimental and computational facilities dedicated to Power System Engineering
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the energy sector.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this MSc Energy and Power Systems Management degree course
Core modules currently include:
- Electrical Machines and Drives
- Electrical Power Systems Technology
- Energy Management, Economics and Risk Analysis
- Individual MSc Project
- Renewable and Alternative Energy
- Sensors and Measurement Systems
- Smart Grid Fundamentals
Teaching on this course includes:
- laboratory sessions
- project work
How you're assessed
- written examinations
- laboratory-based project work
- a major project or dissertation
You'll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
There's a growing skills shortage in the field of energy and power systems management, so our MSc Energy and Power Systems Management degree course will give you a great foundation for a successful career in this expanding, dynamic arena.
If you're already a practicing engineer with professional experience, this course is an opportunity to update your knowledge of current design practice and also to familiarise yourself with developments in codes and methods of analysis.
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.