The programme is intended to qualify students to begin a professional career in the field of Electrical Engineering as engineers or to pursue further advanced post-graduate studies at the level of Masters or Doctorate degrees. The major engineering courses of the Bachelor's programme contain, apart from theory and fundamental principles, elements of analysis and design, as well as significant laboratory work.
The graduate of this programme should:
The programme has both an academic and market orientation. Thus, it is targeting students who intend to pursue post-graduate studies, as well as those that will enter the job market after graduation.
On successful completion of the programme, graduates will be able to use the acquired technical knowledge and analytical skills to effectively tackle engineering problems and provide viable solutions. Recently, the EE programme degree has been acknowledged by the Scientific and Technical Chamber of Cyprus, thus allowing students to work in their field of studies in both the government and private sectors of the island. Potential employment opportunities include employment by:
- Telecommunication companies to design and monitor large-scale telecommunication systems;
- Electric companies in order to work in power generating plants, distribution networks, etc.;
- Companies dealing with any kind of home and outdoors automation systems;
- Software companies to design and develop algorithms that provide solutions to engineering type of application problems;
- Companies specializing in industrial automation and control;
- Companies that design electronic circuits that perform important functions for a wide range of applications; good examples are mobile phones, electronic gadgets, televisions, cameras, CD players, etc.;
- Companies that design and implement algorithms that improve network traffic, reduce time delays, eliminate noise and interference, etc.;
- Companies that seek IT engineers to set up Local Area Networks (LANs) and monitor data traffic and quality of service;
- Large, multi-national companies who seek consultants in the fields of telecommunications, semiconductors, electronics, and networks;
- High-Schools, as teachers of Technology and Electronics.
Access to Further Studies
Upon graduation, students may have direct access to further postgraduate 2nd and 3rd cycle studies as they are admitted to institutions in Cyprus, the EU and the USA/Canada.