Learn how to manage data securely and mitigate IT risks for your organisation with Southampton Data Science Academy's Data Security (Technical) course.
With the heavy dependencies businesses have on data and technology to run effectively and the increasing regulations around personal data, it’s imperative to ensure your organisation’s data and IT systems remain secure.
Developed by the University of Southampton’s Web Science Institute – pioneers in the field of data science – this 6-week online course will equip you with the specialist knowledge and practical skills you need to securely manage personal data – as defined in the EU’s General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) – and effectively assess vulnerabilities and threats within your IT systems.
The course is a great fit if you’re:
- Looking to gain a better understanding of your legal responsibilities when it comes to managing personal data
- Wanting to learn how to conduct an effective cyber security risk assessment within your organisation
- Looking to study a data security course flexibly online, without having to interrupt your work or personal commitments
Some of the topics you’ll cover during the course are:
- Vulnerability and threat assessment to a known IT system
- Mitigation strategies for reducing threat vectors
- The current cyber security environment
- Legal and regulatory requirements
- Step-by-step guide to conducting a risk assessment
- How to communicate cyber risks to management
- The role of incident-planning
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the requirements for security governance and the legal aspects of cyber security as they apply to IT systems
- Identify the various types of vulnerabilities and threat vectors IT systems are susceptible to
- Suggest the cyber control needed to reduce threat vectors
- Understand the implications of various strategies used to mitigate a cyber-attack
- Understand an organisation’s security architecture
- Conduct vulnerability assessments of your organisation’s IT systems
The course is offered completely online, with assessments being conducted through coursework.
Our team of industry-leading teaching staff will guide your learnings through:
- Personal and group tutorials
- Online exercises
- Discussion forums, where you can discuss coursework and share opinions with your expert tutors and global network of students
- Independent study
Find out more about Southampton Data Science Academy Data Security (Technical) course.