MSc Translating for Business with Entrepreneurship is designed to provide graduates of BA (or equivalent) language programmes or graduates of BA business programmes with the opportunity to develop key transferable professional skills which will provide entry to careers in translation, administrative and project management in translation agencies, international businesses and private entrepreneurial ventures where excellent communication skills and a high level of competence in English plus one or more further language(s) are required.
The programme will enable students to:
- acquire and demonstrate a critical understanding of theories and concepts from international business communication studies and translation studies and to apply these to the processes involved in translating and communication for a range of business purposes, including private venturing
- develop a critical understanding of intercultural and interlingual issues in international business contexts
- develop analytical skills using theoretical concepts applied to practical translation and communication problems
- master the skills and techniques of translating to professional standards;
- develop original insights into problems of translation and communication in business contexts;
- reflect critically on the relationship between theory and practice;
- review, organise and evaluate evidence and reflect and comment critically on it;
- present a clear and coherent argument on specialised topics related to translation and international business communication
- the mandatory entrepreneurship element of the programme aims to foster an interest in generating ideas, to develop the students' understanding of the commercial world and to learn to apply the necessary skills to undertake enterprising activities, whether in the context of independent entrepreneurship or within existing organisations
In the practical translating and interpreting courses students opt for one of two 'strands', corresponding to their chosen languages:
Study of English + one other language from French, German or Spanish. Students work in both directions between the two languages chosen.
Study of English + two foreign languages from French, German, Spanish, Arabic or Chinese. Students on this strand work from the two chosen languages into English.
Students benefit from excellent facilities for interpreting and translating, including state-of-the-art interpreting and language laboratories, digital resources for interpreting, and a range of Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) software packages.
Heriot-Watt University is regarded as one of the strongest universities in the teaching of translation by many within the industry. This is reflected in our professional membership of Conférence Internationale permanente d'Instituts Universitaires de Traducteurs et Interprètes (CIUTI) a multinational organisation of universities which is dedicated to upholding a standard of excellence in the teaching of interpreting and translating.
Our CIUTI recognition is a guarantee that the course content, teaching and examinations on our Interpreting and Translating programme are conducted at the highest standard and it is a mark of quality which is recognised by major international employers of interpreters and translators.