If you teach English to speakers of other languages and want to continue your personal and professional development, enhance your abilities and become an expert in your field, postgraduate study is your next step.
On this MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL degree course, you’ll take your qualifications to Master’s level – whether you choose to study full-time, part-time, or part-time via distance learning – and develop your expertise in fields that interest you the most.
You'll enhance your teaching skills too, so when you graduate, you'll be ready to take the next ambitious strides in your career.
What you'll experience
On this course, you’ll:
- Develop the skills needed to teach English around the world, to speakers of other languages
- Expand your knowledge of the theories and methods used in linguistics
- Unpick the hidden systems and bias in the use of language
- Reflect on your teaching practice from theoretical and research-based perspectives
If you choose to study this course via distance learning, you'll follow the same course structure as the full-time and part-time options, but without the necessity to attend lectures and seminars on campus.
What you'll study on this MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL degree course
Core modules in this year include:
- Second Language Acquisition
- Theory and Practice of TESOL
Options to choose from currently include:
- Using Technology and Corpora in Learning, Teaching and Research
- World Englishes
- Analysing, Evaluating and Writing Material
- Analysing Discourse
- Professional Portfolio
- The Classroom Practice of TESOL
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
Previous students have gone on to work in universities in the UK and abroad, continued their studies, or taken on more advanced roles in their current place of work.
Work experience and career planning
If you're not already in work when you join us, our Careers and Employability service are on-hand to help you find relevant work experience during your course – and to help you find a great job when you graduate too.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
We'll also be available to help, advise and support you for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.