ISAD's workshops want to further the themes of design and interior architectures. Each design case is organized in collaboration with a client (company, public administration, private client) that simulates a real professional condition with the presentation of a detailed design program and the final test with the workshop results. The various themes want to answer to the requests and needs of the business world.
The topics of ISAD workshops are the following: exhibit design, sketches technique, residential spaces, shop design, photo and architecture, hotel design, TV set design.
Cisterns, disused factories, hypogeal structures, unfinished buildings and hangars are spaces that, in a city as Milan, could represent the possibility of conversion and replacement as active places of strong cultural communication. In these kind of spaces it is necessary to find and analyze the correlations between “the inside and the outside”, meaning the relationship among the urban spaces, the context, the building and its interior, in favour of the architecture of exhibiting, but without declass or choke the object to show. The architecture of exhibition, unlike the museum’s one, is characterized by temporariness, flexibility and use of materials suitable for a short exhibition. But it is, at the same time, a territory of technical and technological experimentations, field of application for multimedia, virtual and sensory communication, in which the visitor is lead on a way where pauses, rhythms, lights, movements and times of using spaces are essential elements. The course is about teaching to the student to project the exhibition of events / art shows / fairs. The choice of facing the theme of exhibition of an unusual space, without typical exhibiting or museum features, is probably the hardest work that a student has to do, both for its spatiality and for the historical and symbolic expressiveness of some architectures.
The aim of the course is to design hotel spaces and atmosphere where people can meet, act and interact, a new way of living the modern Hotel. The workshop theme will be based on functionality, aesthetic of the ambient, communication of the hotel brand and corporate, its target, etc... During the course, a guided visit to a Design Hotel in Milan will be held. The workshop will approach an emotional design project of a hotel with all its common areas and functions: reception, lobby, lounge, and congress room, so to generate perception unity and corporate identity of a recognizable hotel. The workshop will have a specific focus on the use of contemporary and innovative materials. The design process of the workshop will be based creating and conceiving the space according to the site and the local roots and traditions.
The aim of the course is to design Shop spaces and atmosphere where people can meet, act and interact, a new way of living the Shop. The workshop theme will be based on functionality, aesthetic of the ambient, communication of the Shop brand and corporate, its target, etc... During the course, a guided visit to a Design Concept Store in Milan will be held. The workshop will work on an emotional design project of a Concept Store with all its common areas and functions: window display, shop display, cashier point, dressing-rooms with the integration of a coffee shop and/or restaurant area, so to generate perception unity and corporate identity of a recognizable shop. The workshop will pay particular attention to the use of contemporary and innovative materials.
PHOTO AND ARCHITECTURE
Since the invention of photography, each material aspect of reality has participated in the technical reproduction of a work of art. To learn producing photographical images of what is our perception of reality means exercising a selective and interpretative modality of the manners in which forms present themselves. In photography, the intellectual activity and the optical-visual transposition of the look aim to catch moments in which objects and spaces reveal the functional destiny and the symbolic significance for which they have been thought. Making visible the project in the object: this is the ambitious objective that is proposed to coordinate the learning of photography.
Lessons will be of brief communications that will deal with different themes aiming to widen the imagination background. Exercises will begin with an analysis of single images to arrive to the production of a photographic project. Subjects:
- History of Architecture Photography
- Monographic analysis of Architecture photographers
- Analysis of magazines’ experiences
The contemporary residential space is related to the complexity that the functional and symbolic specifications of housing, besides dimensions and organization, define in an always bigger measure. In this sense, the relation with traditions of housing is revolved through interpretations that renew its themes.
Sketches Technique topics:
- Introduction: exploring and communicating, the quick freehand drawing.
- Shaping forms: to find a geometry, to structure.
- The light and strong: enlightening forms and spaces.
- Techniques: graphite pencils, colour pencils, pantone pens, watercolours and inks, mixed techniques.
- Introduction to Colour Theory.
- Moving forms in space; direct applications of the sketches, techniques notions and guidelines.
- The architectural survey; the instruments.
- The planimetric survey; the trilateration, measuring the thickness of an internal wall, measuring windows and doors, measuring staircases, measuring curved walls.
- The Sections survey; vertical measuring, measuring the level difference between two interposed points, measuring the interfloorplan, measuring the volt ceiling.
- The elevation survey.
- Representing the survey.
TV SET DESIGN
The workshop is organized by ISAD in cooperation with MEDIASET; the students will visit the Mediaset Production Area and will meet the set designers and the security chief. The course proposes to deal with all the themes of the different TV shows (their relation with the scene), through the realization of projects, chosen from the various forms of TV programs (fiction, talk show, etc…). The atelier is composed of a first theoretic part including an introduction with a focus on the peculiarity of the television language enriched by a meeting with an expert of communication who will explain the importance of “the image composition” in relation with television, production and photography direction. The second part of the atelier will include the development of the project workshop through the scenography design approach and techniques. Themes:
- Think the television scene: its connection with theatre, cinema and other forms of representation and performances.
- The point of view: the “private” theatrical eye; the eye in movement, one for all of the cinema; the simultaneous eyes of the cameras, grouped all together during the editing in one vision; the “gaps”.
- The clients: the producer, the authors, the directions.
- The electronic eye: how it influences forms and colours; “the imperfect mean”.
- Lighting: the fundamental relation between the director of photography: the lighting fonts projected in the scene.
- Techniques of construction: the structure; the materials, the “assemble and disassemble”; the specialized laboratories; the fiction.
- Topics: Quiz show, Talk show, Variety, Kids set playground, Sit-com, TV news, Fiction.