Chemistry is at the heart of biology and this degree is attractive to students who want to combine their favourite subjects of Chemistry and Biology and, hence, understand the chemistry underlying the animal and plant kingdoms. Animals and plants are composed of biological cells, which are complex entities whose functions and communications are controlled by messenger molecules. Graduates are full chemistry students who have a specialism in biochemistry, cell biology and biological chemistry at an advanced level. The opportunity to transfer to Chemistry with Pharmaceutical Chemistry is available up to the beginning of Year 3.
Accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry for partially meeting the academic criteria for Chartered Chemist (CChem).
Work and study
This is what our BSc (Hons) Chemistry with Biochemistry students are doing six months after graduating:
- 38% are working
- 43% are studying
- 5% are working and studying.
- 70% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £21000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £20000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Natural and social science professionals
- Science, engineering and technology associate professionals
- Elementary occupations
- Engineering professionals
- Teaching and educational professionals
- Business, research and administrative professionals
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Administrative occupations
- Leisure, travel and related personal service occupations
- Sales occupations