The BA Accounting programme involves the study of accounting, business, finance, and management. You will learn about accounting and finance within an organisational context, which will help you to understand how financial decisions are made. You will also acquire knowledge and skills in the preparation and interpretation of accounts, and develop an appreciation of the similarities and differences in practice between the UK and China. Graduates will be able to claim up to a nine-paper exemption from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), UK qualification, an eight-paper exemption from the Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA), UK qualification, a twelve-paper exemption from the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), UK qualification, and a six-paper exemption from the Certified Practising Accountants (CPA) Australia, Australian qualification.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation and IBSS is the youngest school ever to have achieved it.
Why should I study Accounting at XJTLU?
- Designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in accountancy or in obtaining professional accounting qualifications prior to pursuing a career in business
- Taught by full-time specialists who possess PhD degrees from top overseas universities and/or have comprehensive experience in industry
- You will not only gain a broad knowledge of accounting and finance, but the real skills needed in the accounting profession and in industry, making you very attractive to potential employers
- We have built close ties with some of the leading international chartered accountancy bodies, such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), and the Certified Practising Accountants (CPA) Australia, and we have developed strong partnerships with leading accounting firms, including Deloitte, KPMG, and PwC
- You will be supported in finding and applying for internships or placements in accounting firms or other organisations, gaining the invaluable opportunity to apply your knowledge and skills in a real business environment
- Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
Knowledge and skills
When you graduate from BA Accounting you will be able to:
- understand the technical language and practices of accounting and finance, such as financial and managerial accounting, auditing, and taxation
- record and summarise transactions, prepare financial statements and forecasts, and analyse business operations
- evaluate the performance and financial situation of organisations
- select and apply appropriate accounting and financial management tools to support organisational planning, decision-making, and control.
UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
- Introduction to financial accounting
- Introduction to managerial accounting
- Quantitative methods
- Skills for professional accountants
- Economic principles for business and markets
- Introduction to finance
- Introduction to organisation and management
- Information systems for accountants.
- Financial reporting I
- Management accounting
- Accounting theory
- Business law
- Corporate social responsibility
- Financial management
- Audit and assurance
- Tax compliance.
- Business finance
- Financial reporting II
- Advanced taxation
- Advanced auditing
- Advanced management accounting
- Business strategy
- Corporate reporting, analysis
- Final year project.
Many accounting graduates enter the accountancy profession, but you will also be well-equipped to pursue a career in finance as a stockbroker, investment banker or insurance broker, or in the commerce industry or in public service.