Gain international business skills by living and studying abroad for a year as part of your degree. You’ll have first choice from our wide range of university partners, from Europe to Australia, Canada, Japan, China, South Korea, Thailand and the USA. If you want, you can divide your year abroad and experience 2 new cultures and countries.
Don’t worry if you’re not sure which area of business and management you want to work in, as you’ll explore a broad range of business specialisms on this course. These include marketing, accounting, operations and leadership. Your module options include subjects such as international finance, tourism and cross-cultural awareness. During your year abroad you’ll be able to extend your understanding of global business by taking modules that explore business from a non-UK viewpoint.
No matter which sector you eventually work in, business is now global. This course will maximise your employability. You’ll graduate with both a broad understanding of modern business and the confidence and ability to work internationally.
What you’ll experience
- Have the choice to live and study abroad in not just 1 country, but 2, with all teaching in English wherever you study
- Benefit from excellent support through our International Exchange Workshops to help you make the right choice of destination for your year abroad
- Gain a second degree in international business from the University of Applied Sciences in Munster (see details below)
- Get practical experience as part of our Business Consultancy Project by offering advice to local small businesses
- Get support for setting up your own business from our Entrepreneurs in Residence
- Learn a foreign language as part of your studies
- Explore lots of different areas of international business and management to find the specialisms that interest you
- Have the option to specialise in a particular area of business if you find your passion
Work experience and career planning
Get work experience while you study with support to find part-time jobs and volunteering opportunities. Towards the end of your degree and after graduation, you'll get 1-to-1 support from our Graduate Recruitment Consultancy to find your perfect role. On top of this you'll get bespoke careers support through our faculty 'career-ready' programme.
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
Each module on this course is worth a certain number of credits.
In each year, you need to study modules worth a total of 120 credits. For example, 4 modules worth 20 credits and 1 module worth 40 credits.
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry and some optional modules may not run every year. If a module doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative module.
We've listened to our students and they've told us that they want to keep some of the positive changes we've made to teaching and learning, so we're keeping a blended model which will include some online learning.
The majority of your timetabled teaching at Portsmouth (around 80%) will be face-to-face and will include:
- practical sessions
To learn more about how our teaching and learning have evolved visit our Covid information pages.
We pride ourselves on the academic support we offer our students. In addition to our dedicated teaching team, you'll have a personal tutor, student engagement officers and study support staff to help you throughout your studies.
How you're assessed will depend on the modules you select. As well as online assessments and coursework you may be assessed using:
- analysis of topical case studies
- written reports and essays
- practical projects
This degree will open doors to a wide variety of careers in the business world. Being able to talk about your international experience and global business learning will give you an advantage when applying to multinational companies in particular.
Previous graduates of this course have got jobs as:
- business development manager
- customer accounts manager
- marketing and sales executive
- product manager
- content curator
- events coordinator
- recruitment consultant
- start-up programme manager
Graduates of this course have gone on to work for companies such as:
- Virgin Media
- NATS (air traffic control)
- Asia Pacific Inspection
- BAE Systems
- Liquid Hub (drinks marketing)
- Morgan Stanley
- Kitchen Cut (software)
- Prospect Capital (finance)
- GSMA (worldwide mobile)