Apply your geological knowledge to engineering and construction projects both onshore and offshore with our MSc Engineering Geology degree.
You'll learn the advanced skills needed to understand the impact of geological conditions on engineering structures such as tunnels, dams, mines, quarries, offshore platforms and wind farms. You'll plan and conduct detailed investigations into surface and subsurface geology to identify adverse ground conditions, and design suitable remedial measures for these types of structures.
Geological expertise is critical in all types of civil engineering projects – and when you graduate, you'll be able to meet the industry requirements for specialist engineering geologists. The course will lead to a career in the environmental, engineering geological and geotechnical sectors, and is an important step on the path to becoming a Chartered Geologist.
- Learn about the advanced application of geology to the built environment from staff and researchers with extensive expertise in engineering geology and geotechnics.
- Build the skills and knowledge required for a career as a chartered geologist.
- Get hands-on experience of engineering geological mapping techniques, geomorphological and terrain analysis, applied GIS and remote sensing using current industry standard applications and techniques.
- Become skilled in lab techniques using our suite of labs and testing facilities, including our soil and rock mechanics laboratories.
- Develop your advanced engineering geological and geomorphological mapping and data collection skills with an overseas residential field trip to Southern France, which is part of the course and covered by the course fees.
- Complete your own research project in the UK or abroad with opportunities to work with industrial partners on a joint project. Previous partners have included multinational engineering companies, SOCOTEC and Fugro.
Careers and opportunities
This course offers potential for career advancement in a range of engineering and geological disciplines, or entry into more senior roles.
It builds on the topics that you'll have covered as part of undergraduate geology or civil engineering studies and offers the opportunity to specialise in geotechnical and geo environmental engineering.
Accreditation by the Geological Society of London recognises the advanced professional and scientific training offered by this course.
Graduates of this course have gone onto roles such as:
- Engineering geologist
- Environmental engineer
- Geo environmental engineer
- Geo environmental consultant
- Geotechnical engineer
- Land referencing consultant
- Oil and gas engineer
- Project engineer
- Site engineer
Graduates of this course have gone on to work for companies such as:
- Structural Soils
- Hydrock Consultants