If you want to be a dental hygienist and therapist, this BSc (Hons) Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy course gives you the theory and practical skills to become a vital member of the dental team.
In our Dental Academy, you’ll develop skills that allow you to complete treatments on patients, such as fillings, radiographs and impressions. You’ll study and develop your dental hygiene and therapy skills alongside other members of the dental team.
After you complete the course, you’ll be able to register with the General Dental Council (GDC) as a Dental Hygienist and Dental Therapist and embark on a career treating patients in locations such as dental practices and in community dental services.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Develop the knowledge, skills and professionalism you need to provide dental care to patients and become a trusted member of the dental team
- Study on a course that's professionally accredited by the General Dental Council (GDC), providing industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification
- Practise the skills you’ll use in your career as a hygienist or therapist in our model clinical practice, with dental treatment bays and simulation technology including our Phantom Head skill lab and radiography equipment
- Work in a dental team alongside dentists, dental nurses and other students, giving you a taste of your future work environment
- Have the chance to take part in community healthcare projects, providing additional patient-focused work experience
Teaching methods on this course include:
- practical laboratory work
- guided reading
- supervised clinical sessions
In the second and third year, there are student clinics within the school to develop skills and apply knowledge for up to 2 days a week.
Our academic staff have expertise in clinical practice and research, and you'll be fully supported face to face and online with the appropriate study materials.
Careers and opportunities
When you complete the course you can register with the General Dental Council (GDC). You'll be qualified to work in areas such as:
- general dental practice
- hospital dental services
- the Armed Forces
- the NHS
- health promotion
- owning and managing a dental business of your own
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- dental hygienist and therapist
- oral health educator
- practice manager
- practice owner
You could also continue your dental studies or do research at postgraduate level.
Work experience and career planning
This course focuses on applying your new knowledge and building the practical skills needed to succeed as a dental hygienist or dental therapist.
You can also get experience with patients in community settings as part of the course. For example:
- outreach activity in community surgeries and maxillofacial departments in local hospitals
- oral health promotion
- supervised tooth brushing in infant schools
- helping staff to develop oral care plans in residential homes
- providing dental screening to offenders in the probation service
Our Careers and Employability service can help you find further relevant work experience during the course. We can help you identify placements, internships and voluntary roles that will complement your studies and build your CV.
When you finish the course you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.