Are you calm under pressure, capable of lead others in the face of a crisis, and ready for an interesting, rewarding career where you can make a difference? If that sounds like you, our MSc Crisis and Disaster Management degree course could be just what you're looking for.
On this course, you'll learn about topics such as hazards, vulnerability and the risk of disaster, crisis management and humanitarian responses, all underpinned by the practical aspects of an emergency situation, including planning and logistics.
You'll graduate with the skills you need for a successful career in the emergency planning and disaster management sector, either in the UK or overseas. You'll also get transferable skills in project planning, data reviewing and communication, putting you in a strong position to pursue a career in other industries.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn new skills including disaster risk reduction techniques, and mapping using GIS, GPS and remote sensing technologies
- Be supported by expert staff and researchers who are active in the field, with extensive industrial and consultancy experience working for government agencies, businesses and NGOs
- Have the opportunity to complete a work placement with an emergency planning, crisis management or disaster response organisation and complete a personal project based on your work experience
- Take part in study visits and field training with UK emergency services, the military and NGOs
- Gain transferable skills such as project planning, data reviewing, report writing, team work and presentation
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the field of crisis and disaster management, or elsewhere.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this MSc Crisis and Disaster Management degree course
Core units in this year include:
- Disasters: Hazard, Vulnerability and Risk
- Emergency Management and Planning
- Disaster Management Techniques and Study Visits
- Research Project
Optional units in this year include:
- Crisis Management and Governance
- Humanitarian Emergency Response and Recovery
Teaching methods on this course include:
- practical sessions
- simulation exercises
- study visits
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- 3,000 word illustrated reports
- poster and oral presentations
- literature reviews and research proposals
- individual research project