The First Edition of MEDEA Summer School is a collaboration between the University of Milano-Bicocca as promoter and many institutions localized in the Eastern part of Sicily around the Etna Volcano. The program will be held in Catania. MEDEA is a cultural, scientific and sensorial journey to understand the cultivation, transformation and tasting of the Mediterranean diet food from organic farming through lectures and in field experiences.
The program will last 5 days, each one dedicated to a specific thematic area. Frontal lectures given by university professors and professionals from different research areas will give a modern and up-to-date interpretation of how excellent products have always been at the base of the Mediterranean diet. Today, these products, can be proposed as a functional food, for a healthy life, obtained by modern methods of integrated cultivation/breeding. Teachers, different in their expertise, will offer a mixture of theory, experience and hands on practice courses to give a global picture of the field
This course aims to give participants an updated view and skills finalized to increase their professional competences. During lunch and dinner time, through the Sicilian culture myths and sensory experiences, MEDEA will told the history of food reinterpreting ancient culture flavors.
- Mediterranean diet, nutraceutics, functional food diet – microbiota interaction
- Ancient grains and different cultivars
- visit to "Stazione Sperimentale di Granicoltura"
- on Etna slopes and different cultivars
- Field visit to Etna
- Citrus cultivation, exotic plants and different cultivars
- Field visit around acireale and taormina
- Organic aquaculture, honey and oil
- Field visit to nucellare oil cultivar