The MSc Investigative & Forensic Psychology is a one year, full-time postgraduate programme. It is accredited by the British Psychological Society and recognised as the first step towards status as a Chartered Forensic Psychologist in the UK for students who have Graduate Basis for Chartership. The course is also recognised by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) as a Research Methods MSc and students taking this course are eligible for the ESRC 1 + 3 studentships.
The MSc provides students with a high quality, balanced postgraduate programme of research and academic knowledge including, awareness of professional, legal and ethical issues, and practical, communication and dissemination skills in Investigative and Forensic Psychology. The programme takes a three-tiered approach.
Students begin with structured sessions on conceptual and theoretical issues (including aggression, sexual violence and deviance, decision-making, leadership and stress, memory, communication and persuasion, and the psychology of crowd dynamics).
They then appreciate how these and related issues can be applied to forensic practice and its legal context (in terms of crime reduction and intervention studies; investigative procedures, forensic interviewing, court processes and proceedings, assessment, custody and rehabilitation).
Finally, they gain skills in communicating knowledge and conducting relevant research on case assessments of individuals and organisations
Why Choose Investigative and Forensic Psychology?
- This course is unique in that it is the only MSc accredited course of its type in a Russell Group University. It is viewed worldwide by many to be the home of Investigative Psychology
- The number and calibre of external practitioners whom deliver key understanding of real life applications, makes the MSc Investigative and Forensic Psychology distinct from any other.
- The University of Liverpool has the largest representation of psychologists in Europe, who are research active on Law Enforcement projects.
- High quality teaching and a strong focus on employability skills mean that our students have gone on to be some of the most successful individuals in the field.
- The MSc Investigative and Forensic Psychology is renowned worldwide and attracts a large number of International students and visiting speakers each year. In an increasingly global world it is important to raise awareness of the role cultural factors play in psychological functioning and how these may differ from the findings of mainstream Western research.
- This MSc Investigative and Forensic Psychology was the first course of its type to receive five commendations by the British Psychological Society.