This masters degree will:
- give you a comprehensive grounding in philosophy of education
- explore the relevance to education today of ethics, political philosophy, philosophy of mind and epistemology
- enable you to think philosophically about your own educational concerns and reflect on relevant aspects of policy and practice such as fairness, equality and knowledge
- help you to argue a case and to evaluate the arguments of others on controversial issues.
This masters degree provides an opportunity to:
- study a programme that is unique in the UK and based in a major UK centre for philosophy of education
- gain a grounding in philosophical approaches and their application
- become part of a lively community of masters and doctoral students with shared interests and from a wide range of backgrounds.
Anyone interested professionally or personally in questions about the moral and political justification of education; educational aims and values in liberal societies; the nature of knowledge and understanding; and the educational implications of different philosophical traditions.Entry requirements
A good first degree, including some study of philosophy or a related subject, and experience of some form of educational work.Core topics
- Values, aims and society.
- Theory and practice in education
- Understanding education research.
By coursework assignments of up to 5,000 words and a 20,000-word dissertation or 10,000-word report.Attendance
Face-to-face evening and occasional Saturday sessions.Where do our students go?
Graduates of this masters degree are currently working as:
- teachers and senior school leaders
- university lecturers and researchers
- youth workers
- staff in policy think-tanks.
Here are two talks by Professor Paul Standish, our head of Philosophy of Education:
"So you think philosophy relates to practice?" Watch video (YouTube) or download transcript (pdf, 0.4mb).
"So, managerialism connects with ICT?" Watch video (YouTube) or download transcript (pdf, 0.4mb).
- Philosophy Of Education: Values, Aims And Society
- Theoretical Foundations Of Educational Ideas
- Philosophy of Education: Knowledge, Mind & Understanding