The course is delivered through the University's leading-edge online learning environment that allows students from around the world to interact with fellow students and tutors.
The course aims to provide a foundation in management subjects for students who have business or managerial experience who wish to progress to a postgraduate management course or achieve an undergraduate qualification in management.
The course will give you knowledge of core management topics and experience of academic study in preparation for progression to postgraduate level study. The award of a Graduate Certificate in Management Studies is equivalent to SVQ level 4/SCQF level 9 management training. The four modules are studied one at a time, over one academic year, and are assessed by a course work assignment at the end of each module.
What you will study
You will study four modules:
- Business and People Skills: This module will help you develop transferable business skills that can be utilised in further academic study and the workplace.
- Information Technology: You will develop knowledge and understanding of IT & Information Systems and the skills to apply software solutions to business and management issues.
- Management Environment: This is an introduction to business and management, and examines the key issues associated with the internal and external environment within which organisations operate.
- Managing Finance: You will develop knowledge and understanding of the basic skills in the interpretation, application and communication of financial information.
There are no formal entry requirements, but managerial or supervisory experience is required. All international students for whom English is not their first language must provide evidence of linguistic ability, by gaining either IELTS 6.5 or its equivalent in TOEFL prior to receiving an unconditional offer of a place on the course.
Placements and accreditations
Placements are not available on this course. The Graduate Certificate in Management Studies is not in itself externally accredited, however, successful completion provides access to a range of Masters level courses at Aberdeen Business School, some of which carry professional body accreditation.
Fees and bursaries
- New students: entire course £2030 for academic year 2010/11
- Stand alone 15 credit modules: £584 per module for academic year 2010/11
The above tuition fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change.
If you are already a student at Robert Gordon University, you can find information on fees for academic year 2010/11 on the Student Finance web pages.
How to apply
All applications can be made through Apply Online.