AGU PhD STUDIES IN ARCHITECTURE
Architecture can be defined as a domain of knowledge that focuses on space/spatial production. It generates a research and expertise area in terms of architectural knowledge and design, configuration, perception, representation, utilization and transformation of the space. Architecture is in interaction and communication with the cognitive and objective process of spatial generation, sciences such as technics and technology, social sciences such as history, culture sociology, and economics and fine arts based on aesthetical concerns.
In this context, PhD program is prepared for the candidates who has a Master’s degree from applied science or social science and to train the students in a level of experts based on experiencing the research, examination and application phases of the space. PhD program will response the requirements explained below:
- There are about a hundred departments of architecture and new ones are still opening in both state and foundation universities. The lack of a satisfactory academic staff is obvious considering the current academic labor. The establishment of a PhD program in Kayseri will contribute the academic labor in this geography as a great alternative considering the current PhD programs are concentrated mostly in Istanbul or Ankara.
- This space-based program aims to generate an academic knowledge in architecture in order to gain the interdisciplinary expertise and the attitude towards the education based on the research, examination and application.
- The language of the program will be in English which means the future graduates of the program will be the academic labor or the researchers not only in Turkey, but also through worldwide.
- This program will support the generation and development of the architectural knowledge by creating a new and active research/study areas in between the applied/social sciences and architecture as an academic or professional practice.
- It is aimed to utilize the architectural knowledge produced in this program for the benefit of the society in collaboration with the governmental and non-governmental organizations and related sectors, towards the mission and vision of AGU.
- This PhD program is planned for being internationally visible due to the international academic staff and co-operations of the university. The contribution to the international visibility of AGU through the architectural knowledge, which will be produced by the international student and academic staff in the scope of this program, is aimed.
PhD program will focus on the design, representation, construction and installation and utilization; history, conservation and repair; interaction with the user and environment, communication and transformation of the space. In this context, the research areas can be classified as: building, built environment, history, construction techniques, construction materials and technologies, sociology, philosophy, archaeology and human or society based researches.
More information under http://fbe.agu.edu.tr/architecture