The Department of Architecture welcomes proposals for its research-based PhD programme. Potential candidates are invited to position their PhD research proposals on one or more of the Department's areas of strength, which include:
- Architectural design and architectural studio education
- Architectural, environmental or construction technology
- Computer-aided architectural design
- Architectural history and built heritage studies
- Social and cultural study of the built environment.
Our PhD programme is a strategic research collaboration between XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, based at XJTLU. Upon successful completion of your programme you will receive a degree from the University of Liverpool, which is recognised by the UK's Department of Education as well as China's Ministry of Education.
The normal length of full-time PhD programme is three years. At the end of three years' full-time study, you can apply for an extension of one year to complete the writing of your dissertation. Part-time PhD degrees usually take four to seven years.
As a registered full-time PhD student, you have the opportunity to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months. Your accommodation and travel fees will be covered by XJTLU and the University of Liverpool.
Full-time PhD students are funded to attend local and international conferences during their studies, with a budget of up to RMB 16,500.
Key benefits of PhD study at XJTLU:
- Our PhD programme equips you with a range of professional skills to help you maximise your future employability
- Our supervisors will guide you through one of the most intellectually satisfying experiences of your life
- Supervision from respected academics at both XJTLU and the University of Liverpool
- PhD students have dedicated travel budgets for participating in international conferences
- The chance to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months
- Opportunities to work as a teaching assistant and develop crucial academic skills.
We have a number of scholarship options for PhD candidates, including tuition-only scholarships for full-time PhD study and an academic merit scholarship for international students. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
Additionally, specific funded PhD projects are available that have a scholarship covering the tuition fee and a monthly stipend. Please visit scholarships for specific financial information. The Department has the following funded PhD projects available (this list is updated in January and July every year):
Title of PhD projectReference numberStatusSupervisor
Dr Moon Keun Kim Moon.Kim@xjtlu.edu.cn