The MA TESOL programme will provide you with the opportunity to develop both a scholarly and practical understanding of the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). It is suitable for language teachers, teacher trainers, educational materials writers and test designers who wish to further develop their range of professional skills and knowledge.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
The MA TESOL programme will help you:
- gain an advanced critical understanding of key issues, theories and practices in the field of English language teaching
- acquire a sound knowledge and understanding of language in context
- explore the implications of language analysis for teaching purposes
- develop an understanding of current methodology as it is embodied in classroom practice
- engage with theories underlying current views on language learning, including the importance of individual differences amongst learners in their abilities and learning preferences
- appreciate and view critically the connections between theory and practice in the field of English language teaching
- foster the ability to conduct academic research.
- Linguistics for language teachers
- Methods in English language teaching
- Principles of course and material design
- Second language acquisition
- Language testing and assessment
- Speaking and listening
- Research methods.
- Discourse analysis
- Lexis and vocabulary teaching
- English for specific purposes.
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Graduates may pursue TESOL as a new career or enhance their current prospects in the field of English language teaching. In China, a postgraduate qualification in TESOL is increasingly sought-after by educational institutions. Alternatively, the programme will facilitate the professional development of those candidates who are considering a career in publishing or materials development and management positions.
The programme will also equip those interested in pursuing an academic career in the field of English language teaching and applied linguistics by preparing them to conduct research at MPhil, MRes, EdD and PhD level.