Academic Practice (PG Cert)

University of West London the United Kingdom

For more information about Academic Practice at University of West London, please visit the webpage using the button above.

The award
PG Cert

How long you will study
1 Years

Domestic course fees
GBP 2400

How you will study

Course starts

International course fees
GBP 3833

All study options

About Academic Practice at University of West London

Course summary

The Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice is aimed at members of academic staff new to teaching in UK higher education. The course consists of two modules at level 7:

  • Supporting Student Learning (20 credits)
  • Enhancing Student Learning (40 credits).

The course is based on scholarly reflection of your current teaching practice and gives you opportunities to engage in a dialogue with peers and tutors from a wide range of disciplines providing a good foundation for developing your teaching career.

In addition, the course enables nurses and midwives to obtain the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) teacher status and to record this with the NMC. Nurse teacher status enables staff to follow teaching career pathways both within the Higher Educational context and within clinical settings.


Fees for home and EU students

Main fee£2,400

Fees for overseas students

Main fee£3,833Find out if you are a home or overseas student.


If you are an employee of the University there is no fee.
For all other applicants fees are either paid directly by the individual (self funded) or sponsor.
Fees maybe paid for via NHS contract arrangements. NMC applicants must be interviewed and agreed written support provided for 360 hours teaching experience (60 hours face to face minimum) with NMC approved courses. Please seek approval for entry via the NMC Coordinator Claire Anderson in the College of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare, if you are a nurse of midwife considering applying as other entry criteria also apply and have to be met before entry.

A range of loans, bursaries and scholarships are available to help you fund your studies.

Students on some Masters courses may be eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,000 as a contribution towards their course and living costs. Find out how to apply for a Postgraduate Loan on GOV.UK

Other loans available to postgraduate students include Professional and Career Development Loans, which also allow you to borrow up to £10,000.  Find out more about Loans on GOV.UK

Additional funding is available to some types of students, such as disabled students. Find out more about funding opportunities

Within the university, we offer a range of scholarships and bursaries including:

  • The William Brake Bursary: a £1,000 award for candidates on undergraduate or postgraduate degree courses
  • The Mollie Clay Scholarship: a £2,500 scholarship awarded to an outstanding student
  • Exclusive alumni discounts: a £2,000 discount on taught postgraduate courses or a 10% discount on research courses, exclusive to students who graduated from the University of West London.

Other scholarships are also available, including awards for specific subjects. Find out more and check your eligibility for the scholarships and bursaries listed above.

Please note fees are paid for each year of study unless otherwise stated. You will be required to re-enrol and pay fees at the beginning of each academic year. Fees may be subject to government regulations on fee increases. Future inflationary increases will be applied to each subsequent year of the course, subject to government regulations on fee increases.

Study options for this course

  • The award How you will study How long you will study Course starts Domestic course fees International course fees
  • The awardPG CertHow you will studyPart-timeHow long you will study1 year
    Course startsSeptemberDomestic course feesGBP 2400International course feesGBP 3833

Entry requirements

Entry requirements

Applicants must have a degree or equivalent professional knowledge related to the intended area of teaching/practice.
Please note: Applicants must be teaching in Higher Education or in a work-based Higher Education setting in the UK.

Join Our Newsletter


Sign up to today for free and be the first to hear about any new study abroad opportunities

Subscribe Now