Insights and paradoxes
The objective of risk management is to identify those risks that can lead to business failure and to implement effective strategies to manage them. This holds for any business sector but perhaps more for finance, innovation, information technologies, infrastructure projects, and programs and policies. We will share with you fundamental concepts of risk management that enable you to understand their relevance not only to your own business undertakings but to our society.We'll share fundamental concepts of risk management that enable you to understand their relevance not only to your own business undertakings but to our society.Ibsen Chivata Cardenas, course leader
Risk management is intricately related to other fields such as safety, security, decision making, governance, communication and this is naturally reflected in our courses' subjects. Furthermore, our portfolio of contents covers other inherent and contextual aspects of risk management, namely risk modeling, communication of risk, and disaster risk reduction.
Specific modules are devoted to address very varied business sectors such as water projects, collaborative construction projects, cyber-security, among others. In these, real cases applications will be shown.
Check the video from the previous course edition (2015):
- Identify a range of definitions of risk and risk management
- Describe the key benefits of risk management
- List the characteristic of a risk that need to be identified to provide a comprehensive risk description
- Summarize the range of standard techniques for risk assessment, analysis, and management
- Describe the key stages and components in the risk management process
- Summarize the various specialized areas and approaches to risk management
This course will deal with different topics which are all related to the broad field of Risk management
- Fundamentals of Risk Management
- Quantitative Methods for Risk Analysis
- Risk in Construction
- Scenario Analysis
- Flood Risk management
- Risk in Innovation
- Disaster management
- Cyber security
- Risk Perception & Communication
- Visit to Twente Safety Campus
Ibsen Chivata Cardenas
Committed to provide relevant solutions by doing research on risk. Helping CEOs to develop knowledge and investigate opportunities to control risks. Relevant information is provided to top decision makers using cutting-edge information tools and techniques for risk analysis.
The focus of Ibsen's research has been the investigation and analysis of risks to infrastructure, risks due to natural and man-made hazards, as well as to public organisations. He has been working on research dealing with uncertainty treatment and management of these risks
For more information: Ibsen Chivata Cardenas
EELCO H. DYKSTRA
Eelco H. Dykstra (1957) is the Executive Chair of Daily Impact Emergency Management (DIEM, www.diem.nu) and a widely recognized authority on all-hazard international emergency management/complex emergencies, covering both policy and practice. Other than currently directing the development of Daily Impact Emergency Management as an international think tank and social enterprise specializing in critical infrastructure, consequence management and local community resilience, he also serves as the 11th Brunel International Lecturer (2016-2018) of the Institution of Civil Engineers in London (www.ice.org.uk) and served a four-year term as a member on the Dutch National Advisory Council for the Environment and Infrastructure (www.rli.nl)
Factsheet: Course details
- Methods: interactive lectures and traditional lectures
- Course leader: Ibsen Chivata Cardenas
- Credits: 2 ECTS for successfully completing the summer school
- Aven, T. (2015). Risk assessment and risk management: Review of recent advances on their foundation. European Journal of Operational Research.
- Aven, T. (2015). Implications of black swans to the foundations and practice of risk assessment and management. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 134, 83-91.