If you're an experienced practising pharmacist and want to further your career in a specialist area, such as mental health, critical care or HIV medicine, joining our PgCert Independent Prescribing for Pharmacists course is the perfect way to fulfil your ambitions.
On this course, you'll develop your clinical examination, pharmacology and therapeutics skills, and build on your understanding of evidence-based management of common medical conditions.
And when you graduate, you'll be qualified for a career as an independent prescriber within a clinical setting.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn from experts in the School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, and the School of Health and Care Professions
- Get hands-on experience in clinical examination and history taking
- Study topics including pharmacology and therapeutics for prescribers, clinical skills for prescribers, and professional aspects of prescribing
- Improve your counselling and consultation skills in our practice dispensary facilities, where you'll consult with patient actors
- Build on your clinical simulation expertise in our clinical skills suite, featuring both CAE and Laerdal human patient simulators
- Be supported by experienced clinical pharmacists as you develop your competencies portfolio
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to find opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the healthcare industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this PgCert Independent Prescribing for Pharmacists course
- Clinical Skills for Prescribers
- Pharmacology and Therapeutics for Prescribers
- Professional Aspects of Prescribing
Teaching on this course includes:
- online learning
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- written examination
- practical skills assessment
- written case studies and therapeutic reviews
- portfolio of competencies and reflective accounts