Are you curious about how the media influences the world we live in? Our BA (Hons) Media Studies course is distinguished by its innovative mix of options and will give you a fascinating way to gain a deeper academic understanding of this prime form of communication.
You'll learn how global media reflects, shapes and affects societies and cultures, from news and television, to social networks. You’ll also consider how identity is formed through the media, and its representations in contemporary formats and genres, such as TV talk shows, the comic book industries, and science. As you progress in your degree, you can create your own learning plan by choosing optional modules, including film production.
You’ll graduate ready to begin your media career in many communicational fields, but you’ll also have creative and transferable skills you can use in any sector.
- Gain expert insight into popular culture, fan communities, and the latest media tech developments by attending the annual Portsmouth Comic Con – where course lecturers and previous students have been panellists
- Enhance your studies by learning from a teaching team of widely published media experts and research-active academics
- Cultivate a well-rounded, futuristic understanding of media from staff expertise in contemporary popular culture genres (including science fiction, fantasy, horror, and animation)
- Tailor your degree by choosing modules to suit your specialisation
- Develop filmmaking skills with optional practical film modules from second year
- Build valuable professional experience and knowledge by taking an optional placement year – either with a company or self-employed
- Broaden your expertise with the chance to gain industry-recognised accreditations such as ScreenSkills safety training and Adobe Certified Professional (ACP)
Careers and opportunities
The communication, research, writing and critical thinking skills you learn on this media studies degree will be essential for employers within and outside the media industry.
You can also continue your studies at postgraduate level. Many of our graduates pursue Master's and Doctorates, with a number of them taking further teacher training to work in education.