Marketing is about so much more than advertising. Through this broad degree you'll understand what makes a brand, you'll develop a new product, learn how to understand consumer psychology and improve your ability to make a sale.
Marketing is a key part of every business and this degree looks closely at how marketing works with other specialisms such as finance, operations and public relations. When you finish this degree you'll have a deep understanding of how marketing interacts with all the working parts of a business and you'll be able to apply your skills as a marketing specialist in any sector that interests you.
What you'll experience
On this course you can:
- Explore all the key concepts of marketing, sales, digital marketing, brand and advertising and then focus on the areas that really interest you as the course progresses
- Apply your learning in a 1-year paid work placement, or through working with a real client in our marketing consultancy module
- Get additional certifications in tools, software and specific skills like SEO, Google Ads and Google Analytics as part of your degree
- Learn to interpret data to inform your decisions and present that data to a variety of different audiences
- Benefit from expert industry speakers, from companies such as O2, TK Maxx and Gartner
- Learn from teaching staff who have worked in the industry and are actively researching the rapidly changing world of marketing
Work experience and career planning
Get work experience while you study with support to find part-time jobs and volunteering opportunities. Towards the end of your degree and after graduation, you'll get 1-to-1 support from our Graduate Recruitment Consultancy to find your perfect role. On top of this you'll get bespoke careers support through our faculty 'career-ready' programme.
You can boost your employability by taking an optional paid placement year between years 2 and 3 of your degree.
Previous students on this course have had placements in organisations such as:
- Warner Bros
- Rolls Royce
Many of our students are offered graduate jobs by their placement employers.
Each module on this course is worth a certain number of credits.
In each year, you need to study modules worth a total of 120 credits. For example, four modules worth 20 credits and one module worth 40 credits.
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry and some optional modules may not run every year. If a module doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative module.
We've listened to our students and they've told us that they want to keep some of the positive changes we've made to teaching and learning, so we are keeping a blended model which will include some online learning.
The majority of your learning (around 80%) will be face-to-face and will include:
- ICT sessions
To learn more about how our teaching and learning have evolved visit our Covid information pages.
We pride ourselves on the academic support we offer our students. You'll have a personal tutor, student engagement officers and study support staff to help you throughout your studies.
Your assessment will depend on which modules you take. Assessment methods are likely to include:
- portfolio work
- live client work
- group work
- multiple-choice tests
You'll graduate from this course with projects and certificates to demonstrate your competence with tools and you'll have real-world experience to talk about in interviews. That experience might be through a work placement, or through our marketing consultancy project module.
You'll also have an understanding of business and how the marketing function fits into business, which is a skill you'll be able to apply to any sector that interests you.
Previous graduates of this course have secured jobs such as:
- marketing executive
- social media account manager
- advertising planner
- ecommerce trading executive
- international project manager
- customer relationship executive
- field marketing executive
- operations manager: sales and marketing
- recruitment consultant
Previous graduates of this course have gone on to work for companies such as:
- BMW Financial Services
- Quintessentially (luxury lifestyle management)
- Pendragon (automotive)
- Blue Reef Aquarium
- Immediate Media Co. (content and platforms)
- The Bank of England
You could also choose to continue your studies at postgraduate level, or set up your own business with help and support from the University.