If you're working in HR and ready to make an ambitious next move in your career, our MSc International Human Resource Management degree course will develop your knowledge and skills to Master's level and help you stand out from the competition.
On this course, you'll improve your knowledge of HR in an international context. You'll learn about the globalisation of business and its effect on the HR industry, and explore why HR measures that are effective in one country can fail in another, even within the same organisation.
When you graduate, you'll have the skills to manage people across borders, and to handle cross-cultural issues in international HR. And because these skills are in demand in the HR industry and beyond, you'll be ready to advance your career in business development, recruitment, or training and development.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Be taught in multi-national classes, benefitting from the diverse backgrounds, academic profiles and work experiences of other students
- Take part in skills development workshops, where you'll contribute to managerial and HR based activities
- Study HR and professional skills, human resources management (HRM), and international HR
- Complete a strategic research project on a topic of your choice, integrating theory and practice that are beneficial to your career
- Benefit from a flexible approach, with web, email and phone access to many of our facilities.
- Access the library's electronic journals, resources and database collections
- Have the chance of being selected for an HR-related placement, arranged by the Faculty, within a Portsmouth-based company
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this MSc International Human Resource Management degree course
Core modules in this year include:
- Developing Skills for Business Leadership
- Issues and Debates in International HRM
- Leading Managing and Developing People
- Learning and Development
- Managing Employment Relations an a Global Context
- Research Skills for the HR Professional
- Resourcing and Talent Management
- The HR Practitioner
- The International Business Context
Teaching on this course includes:
- case studies
- class discussions
- group work
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through
- group presentations
You'll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on practice and formal assessments so you can improve in future
Careers and opportunities
We are an Approved Centre for the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). When you graduate, you'll be eligible for Associate Membership of the CIPD, and depending on your previous experience, you may also meet the criteria for Chartered Membership. The CIPD is the world's largest internally-recognised Chartered HR and development professional body.
The international focus of this course will give you a greater understanding of global business and improve your chances of securing work internationally, or with an international organisation.
What can you do with an International Human Resource Management degree?
Once you've graduated, you can pursue a career in:
- Human resources
- Business development and consultancy
- Training and Development
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.