Redefine the world with a pencil or stylus on this BA (Hons) Illustration degree course.
You’ll challenge convention in all spheres: from exploring illustration from new perspectives, to delving into its social, political and historical significance. You'll explore traditional and contemporary illustration techniques and the business essentials of the art form – and you can gain extra professional experience through a one-year placement, client projects, and entering design competitions.
At the end of this course, you'll become an all-encompassing illustrator that stands out among competitors in the creative industries.
On this course you’ll:
- Raise your professional profile by taking on live projects with local and international clients such as Anglepoise
- Catch potential employers' eyes by exhibiting your work at national exhibitions and our annual Graduate Show
- Have the chance to win eminent awards by entering international competitions like Design & Art Direction (D&AD), The Macmillan Prize, and the V&A Illustration Awards
- Enrich your practical and industry experience by taking an optional one-year placement – either with a company or by setting up your own
- Showcase your Adobe expertise to industry peers by gaining Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) qualifications
Careers and Opportunities
The creative and technical abilities you develop on this course – in sequential storytelling, character animation, and visual storytelling – could lead to a variety of creative roles in design and media.
You can also continue your studies at postgraduate level.
Areas previous graduates have gone on to include:
- artist book making
- children’s book illustration
- narrative illustration
- print making
- art direction
Ongoing careers support
Get experience while you study, with support to find part-time jobs, volunteering opportunities, and work experience. You can also venture into freelancing, or set up and run your own business with help from the University Startup Team.
Towards the end of your degree and for up to five years after graduation, you’ll receive one-to-one support from our Graduate Recruitment Consultancy to help you find your perfect role.