Understand the mind of offenders, victims and witnesses, and learn about the theories of crime and criminality on this combined BSc (Hons) Criminology with Psychology degree course.
You’ll get a foundation in the psychology of crime, and enhance your studies by exploring the causes of offending behaviour, responses to crime, and how rehabilitation works.
This course prepares you for a career in areas such as the prison or probation service, criminal justice agencies and victim support.
What you'll experience
On this Criminology with Psychology degree course, you'll:
- Study in one of the largest criminology departments in the UK, with teaching drawn from the latest research in criminology and psychology
- Tailor your degree to your interests and career ambitions, and hear from recent graduates who are working in the field
- Interact with practitioners from criminal justice agencies, businesses and charitable organisations
- Get out of the classroom by using our forensic interviewing facilities
- Make the most of our networks with agencies such as youth offender teams, the probation service, prisons, and Hampshire Fire and Rescue.
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed through:
- group projects
- a dissertation
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
The way you’re assessed may depend on the modules you select. As a guide, students on this course last year were typically assessed as follows:
- Year 1 students: 18% by written exams, 7% by practical exams and 75% by coursework
- Year 2 students: 17% by written exams and 83% by coursework
- Year 3 students: 33% by written exams, 8% by practical exams and 59% by coursework
Teaching methods on this course include:
- group discussions
- practical workshops
You can access all teaching resources on Moodle, our virtual learning environment, from anywhere with a Web connection.
For more about the teaching activities for specific modules, see the module list above.
Careers and opportunities
This course opens up career opportunities in areas related to psychology and criminology.
What can you do with a Criminology with Psychology degree?
Organisations you could work for in include:
- the police force
- the probation service
- the prison service
- academic research
- victim and offender support charities
You could also work in third sector organisations and charities that work towards improving the lives of those in or leaving the criminal justice system.
What jobs can you do with a Criminology with Psychology degree?
Our graduates have gone on to jobs such as:
- investigative data analyst
- police officer
- probation officer
- youth offending support officer
- offender case administrator
By choosing certain optional units on this course, you can get pre-entry qualifications for a career in probation work and community justice.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course. We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
We'll also be available to help, advise and support you for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
This course allows you to take the Learning From Experience (LiFE) option. This means you can earn credits towards your degree for work, volunteer and research placements that you do alongside your study.
At the end of your second year you can do an optional placement year. This gives you experience in the field, helping to boost your skills and career prospects with real world experience.
Placements previous students have secured include positions at organisations such as:
- HM Revenue & Customs
- Aurora New Dawn
- Hampshire Constabulary
You can also spend this year studying overseas at one of our partner universities in Europe, south Asia and Canada.
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your aspirations. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.