On this MSc Clinical Exercise Science course, you'll develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to support people with long-term health conditions to improve their quality of life, through safe and effective activity and fitness programmes.
You'll learn about medical management, fitness assessment, exercise prescription and behaviour change, and develop your professional skills in exercise and physical activity. You'll learn how to support people with long-term conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stroke chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, renal disease, arthritis and cancer.
When you complete the course, you'll be set for a career providing clinical exercise physiology services and have the option to work towards becoming a clinical exercise physiologist.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Be taught by clinicians to develop an understanding of the medical management of long term conditions
- Develop practical skills in physiological assessment
- Apply theory-based interventions to change physical activity behaviours in people with long term conditions
- Develop confidence and competence in communicating with clients in a professional and approachable way
- Access career development opportunities
- Have the opportunity to work towards American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Clinical Exercise Physiologist certification
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the clinical exercise industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Teaching methods on this course include:
- workshop and practical sessions
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- practical assessment
- research reports
- applied essays
- case studies
- project report
- poster presentation
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
The demand for qualified clinical exercise specialists is high, and the knowledge and skills you'll gain on this course will place you in a strong position to pursue a career in a variety of clinical settings, in both the public and private sector.
Jobs you can do
Career opportunities include:
- Health and wellbeing physiologist
- Clinical exercise physiologist
- Exercise referral coordinator
- GP exercise referral coordinator
- NHS trainee clinical scientist
- Health advisor
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing research technician
- Mental health exercise instructor
- NHS physical activities adviser
- Private exercise physiologist
You could also do postgraduate research, including a PhD.
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.