The MSc Pharmaceutical Sciences programme was developed in response to the need for enhanced skills by employees within pharmaceutical research, development or manufacturing.
The programme will generate graduates with in-depth theoretical knowledge and extensive laboratory skills, allowing students to be involved in many disciplines of pharmaceutical sciences from drug discovery and medicinal chemistry through to product development and manufacture and including pharmaceutical analysis, quality control and quality assurance.
Delivery on this programme involves a series of lectures, seminars, workshops and lab-based exercises. Many of the lectures on this programme are delivered by leading industrial experts. Problem-based learning and case studies will provide students with experience of team-working that simulates an industrial setting. Students will develop team-working, critical thinking and analytical problem solving abilities which are important in the modern pharmaceutical industry.
The main part of the programme is a research project that runs over the whole academic year and gives students the opportunity to work with modern research equipment to carry out novel research. Project work will help students enhance practical skills, analytical thinking, time management, communication skills and independence.
The aims of the programme are:
- To acquire a sound core knowledge base together with knowledge of a specialist area of pharmaceutical sciences to support current and future developments of pharmaceutical and related sciences
- To enhance students' critical, analytical, practical and communication skills relevant to the modern, multidisciplinary pharmaceutical industry
- To develop research skills in terms of: planning, conducting, evaluating and reporting the results of investigations
- To gain the knowledge and skills necessary to solve a range of pharmaceutical drug development and processing problems
- To enable students to use and develop advanced theories and develop novel concepts to explain pharmaceutical development and processing data.
Chemical, Pharm. & Life Sci.
From forensic science and chemistry to pharmaceutical science and human nutrition. Whatever you choose to study you will be taught by experienced staff in state-of-the-art labs and gain important skills.
- Download transcript
- More videos