The aim of the programme is to advance practice, develop the leadership, practice based expertise, compassion and resilience in practitioners and managers who have a direct or indirect responsibility for the health and social care of children, patients, service users their families and carers. The programme provides opportunities for those practitioners and practice based leaders to develop knowledge, skills and expertise in clinical leadership, adaptability and flexibility in their approach towards their role in providing support, education and mentorship/supervision to less advanced colleagues. It is envisaged that successful completion of the MSc Advanced Practice will provide opportunities for networking and developing an advanced practice community together with potential immediate and on-going career development.
Students choose from one of the following pathways: Healthcare Practice; Critical and Emergency Care Practice; Mental Health; Sexual Health; Safeguarding Children and Young People; Leadership and Management and Social Work.
Aims of the programme improve quality and develop advanced practice by:
- Preparing students with critical awareness of the relationship between theory and research in the development of advanced practice in clinical or direct care practice;
- Creating an on-going critical debate concerning the evaluation and integration of knowledge that influences or informs systematic processes of care and care management;
- Cultivating a synthesis between the formulation and application relevant knowledge of the governance, policy, regulatory, and legal and ethical frameworks into the context of advanced practice;
- Developing an advanced practice community that inspires self and others to become ingenious in critical situations, entrepreneurial towards challenge and original in translating paradigms of change and its management;
- Constructing critical and reflective skills regarding leadership and collaborative practice that convey effective leadership strategies in the development of continuing advanced practice.
Health & Social Care - PG
Find out how the range of postgraduate programmes from the Faculty of Education & Health give you the chance to excel in your chosen specialism.
- Download transcript
- More videos