This programme allows students to study the principles of language and communication, and the practise of English language teaching, while also incorporating courses from a variety of other subject pathways.
The programme combines the academic study of language and communication with practical training in English language teaching (ELT). It prepares students for a wide range of career opportunities from education (e.g. teaching English as a first or second language in the UK or abroad) to research in language acquisition, to publishing, media, and the digital industry.
The aims of the programme are:
- To help students develop analytical and critical thinking skills
- To give students an understanding of the properties and analysis of human language
- To provide students with an understanding of the process of language acquisition
- To give students an appreciation of the possible applications of the knowledge of language
- To provide students with knowledge about how to design and produce materials for a language lesson
- To give students an appreciation of current practice and developments in language teaching and testing in ELT
- To provide them with seminal teaching practice.