This is an American degree.
This programme provides a quantitative and comprehensive examination of finance.
You will look at corporate finance, investments, market instruments and institutions, and at the related fields of accounting and economics.
A capstone experience ties together major finance topics, with a significant focus on mergers and acquisitions.
You will also have the choice of a number of elective modules in topics to further your specific interests and career goals.
If you do not have sufficient academic background in finance-related studies you may be required to take one or more pre-requisite modules.
Why should I choose this programme?
The global financial crisis has redefined standards, precipitated new thinking about organisations and imposed new governance structures. In addition, forces of economic globalisation, political transition, technical innovation and hybridisation create new opportunities and propose new definitions of work.
Demand for better-qualified risk managers and financial analysts continues to grow. You will delve into the issues most relevant to today’s financial and corporate sector and learn how to prepare for them.
Through a hands-on approach to learning, the programme will prepare you to work in a wide range of roles within the finance world and in key financial positions across all sectors.
You will gain a rigorous training in financial modelling, capital budgeting, mergers and acquisitions and real options, set within the context of corporate governance, ethics and strategy.
Key skills, aims and objectives
- Strong foundation in the theory and practice of finance
- A global perspective on the process of financial decision-making
- Practical knowledge of the workings of institutions, financial markets, price-setting processes and financial products
- Ability to use current quantitative techniques to analyse financial situations and respond to complex scenarios
- Ability to recognise and manage risk
- In-depth knowledge in areas such as investment and capital budgeting, firm valuations and dividend policy and capital structure
- Transferable skills in communication, IT, commercial and situational awareness
- An analytical and logical approach problem solving
You will be in a strong position to succeed in the financial service sector. Previous MS Finance graduates have:
- Joined investment firms, compliance or risk departments in banks, security and asset management companies
- Work as financial market professionals in sales, trading and research
- Moved into other sectors where specialist financial knowledge is required, in roles such as credit analyst, finance officer, financial planner and adviser
- Gone into consultancy, accountancy, operations and IT
- Moved on to high-level finance executive positions within major multinationals, in diverse fields and industries
- Successfully reoriented their existing careers
This programme is recognised worldwide. Employers are attracted to our graduates because of their global mind-set and ability to be immediately operational.