Our specialist MSc in Economics and Finance provides an exciting opportunity for you to gain an insight into the pressing economic issues of our times and learn how to assess, adapt and apply modern macroeconomic and microeconomic models to transform organisational or government policy.
In short, it is designed to equip you with the skills of a professional economist, for careers in government, international organisations, business, or as preparation for PhD study.
Unlike a masters in finance, you will learn to understand and model issues affecting financial markets through the holistic lens of an economist; assessing both the microeconomic impacts for firms, as well as the macroeconomic implications for the global economy. You will develop advanced theoretical and quantitative skills, highly sought after by employers in the financial services sectors of industry and government, as well as transferable skills that will be of value for a range of other sectors.
There is the opportunity to specialise in various fields of finance. All students register for the MSc in Economics and Finance. However, depending on the choice and availability of modules and dissertation topic, it is possible to graduate with an MSc in Financial Economics instead.
This MSc also provides basic training for doctoral level research, including a sound foundation in research methods and economic theory, whatever your field of specialisation.
For further details about the course visit: www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/pg/programmes/eaf
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- Microeconomic Analysis
- Research Communication
- Research Methods
Optional Modules (choose one):
- Financial Economics
- Introduction to Measure Theory and Martingales
- The Financial System
- Stochastic Models in Finance
- Further Quantitative Techniques for Finance and Economics
- Research Communication (two-semester module)
Optional Modules (choose one):
- Applied Banking and Financial Modelling
- Asset Management and Derivatives
- Banking and Financial Markets
- Comparative Banking
- Corporate Finance
- Development Finance
- Economics and Energy Policy
- Stochastic Calculus and Theory of Stochastic Pricing
Choice of Semester 2 modules may be restricted by the option selected in Semester 1.
Dissertation: a 9,000 - 12,000 word supervised dissertation to be completed over the summer on an approved topic of your choice.
Scholarships and Bursaries worth up to 100% of fees!!
The School of Business and Economics is committed to attracting the very best applicants. We offer a range of competitive scholarships and bursaries to both UK/EU and international applicants – some worth up to 100% of your fees!
Our scholarship and bursary range is designed to include a wide range of students and consists of:
- Alumni scholarships (for UK/EU and international students)
- Outstanding academic achievement scholarships
- Sports scholarships
- Hardship bursaries and other funding options
- International student specific scholarships, including: Loughborough University Graduate School Development Trust Africa; USA scholarships and loans; and Santander International postgraduate scholarships
Whilst some of our scholarships are offered automatically based on your course application, some scholarships and bursaries do require a separate application and have limited availability and application deadlines.
For more details visit: www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/pg/fees-funding